Why study Master Cultural Economics and Entrepreneurship
Uncover the business of culture: get the art facts. How to tell the worth of an oeuvre? Who decides? How do cultural entrepreneurs operate in the culture market? It's all about cultural economics.
A unique approach
The cultural and creative sectors face constant challenges. Our students acquire the knowledge and skills to identify and and overcome them. The specific approach of this Master that dives into Cultural economics and entrepreneurship has various advantages.
- It helps students to use both a macro and a micro approach. The first, allows to identify the features of the context where a specific cultural organisation operates. The second to recognise the best tools and activities to undertake.
- The cultural sector is increasingly addressed in terms of financial and economic considerations. Our students will train to argue convincingly in this framework and to challenge preconceived ideas.
- The cultural sector reveals fundamental challenges in mainstream economics, and we address alternative approaches.
- Careful application of economic theory and empirical research are powerful tools for making reasonable predictions about further developments in the context of digitization and changes in public policy.
- Our students learn about the challenges and opportunities that cultural entrepreneurs face.
Our programme differs from the other courses on cultural management because of his double perspective: cultural economics and cultural entrepreneurship. We put a greater emphasis on cutting-edge theory and original empirical research, next to providing first hand experience with entrepreneurial projects.
Five reasons to choose for Cultural Economics and Entrepreneurship at the EUR
- The CEE Master is ranked 2nd in the world in “Arts and Cultural Management” according to www.best-masters.com (out of 46) and is ranked 1st in the Netherlands by Elsevier (out of 5).
- Successful graduates have an edge as researchers in related fields, as employees in cultural organizations, and as entrepreneurs.
- An enthusiastic team of lecturers supports the students, guaranteeing intensive and individual tuition.
- According to Times Higher Education, EUR is one of the 200 most international universities of the world. This means encountering lecturers and students from all over the world.
- Studying in Rotterdam means studying in a young, dynamic metropolis which keeps developing rapidly. Sparkling skyscrapers, an impressive port, hip restaurants and food markets, renowned museums, special attractions and awesome festivals are the direct result of the can do mentality of the people of Rotterdam.
Students about the programme
Our student satisfaction rate compares very favorably with other academic programmes. Among our most recent CEE graduates (2014-15), almost 95% agreed that they can recommend the CEE Master program to other potential students. Furthermore, 90% agreed at least partly that in retrospect, they would choose the CEE Master again.