The Media & Creative Industries programme targets bachelor graduates with an international outlook and an entrepreneurial mind-set who want to acquire the knowledge and skills to make their way into a variety of media and creative industry professions.You are eligible for the master programme Media & Creative Industries if you meet the following requirements:
- You hold a university Bachelor's degree in the social sciences or the humanities;
- You have basic knowledge of the field of media and communication and social scientific research methods;
- You have a sufficient level of English proficiency (see below);
- Note: ESHCC students wishing to enter the Master’s programme, are advised to obtain at least 15 EC in the field of communication and media. ESHCC students are not automatically admitted to the Master’s programme of their choice: they still need to go through the full selection procedure.
Among candidates who meet the above requirements, a further selection is made according to:
- the relevance of their previous studies to the master programme concerned (i.e. Media & Business);
- Grade Point Average (GPA);
- academic writing and analytical skills;
- international background;
All teaching is carried out in English. We must be convinced that you have sufficient fluency in written and spoken English to cope with the course from the start.
We ask you to provide evidence of your command of English. You should include your test scores, if available, in the relevant section of the application form.
You meet the English proficiency requirement if:
- you have a Dutch ‘vwo’ diploma and grade of 7 or higher in English;
- you hold an International Baccalaureate diploma including English Standard Level (A) or English Higher Level (A or B);
- you hold a European Baccalaureate diploma including English as 1st or 2nd language;
- You are a native speaker of English (i.e. a national of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and the United States of America) and you have obtained a diploma of secondary education in English for at least 2,5 years in one of the above countries; or
- You have obtained your diploma of higher education in English (the entire programme) in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South-Africa, the UK or the USA.
- We usually deem the level of English (the entire programme) Bachelor programmes at West European or Scandinavian universities sufficient for exemption as well.
If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you may demonstrate proof of proficiency in English through any of the following tests:
- IELTS Academic with a minimum score of 7.0 overall. All sub scores should at least be 6.5.
- TOEFL iBT Internet based with a minimum score of 100. All sub scores should at least be 23.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency with a minimum score of at least 185.
Please note that the test may not be older than two years at the time of application. Also note that it takes several weeks before the results of the tests are known. Take this into consideration when you think of applying. Without the results, we will not be able to assess your application.
Deadlines for submitting proof of English proficiency:
- non-EEA students: no later than 15 April
- EEA students: no later than 1 August
We would like to point out that having a solid command of the English language will greatly benefit the applicant’s study success. We expect students contribute to our lectures and group discussions, as well as being able to speak, read and write in English. An insufficient command of the English language will affect their study success negatively.