What does this study entail?
Philosophy of economics is a growing field with important implications for both economists and policy makers. Philosophers of economics identify and critically evaluate the implicit assumptions that economists make when doing economics. These assumptions can be theoretical, methodological or ethical assumptions. Having gained a deep understanding of these assumptions, you will be in an excellent position for a subsequent PhD in philosophy of economics as well as several careers in the private and public sector. After completing the Research Master you will be able to understand complex texts, reason critically about economic issues, conduct independent interdisciplinary research projects, and present your work in a clear and compelling manner.
Is this the right programme for you?
- The first of its kind in the world, our Research Master remains one of the few programmes in the world that offers a specialist focus on philosophy of economics, and that covers all areas of philosophy of economics comprehensively. See our curriculum [link]. While most other programmes offer courses in economics and courses in philosophy, they offer few courses on philosophy of economics itself.
- Many of the students that have come through our Research Master are now academics who lead the field, while others excel in the private or public sector. See the profiles of our alumni.
- Rated one of the best research master programmes in Philosophy and among the Top-22 of all master programmes in the Netherlands.
- We limit the number of students to 16 a year maximum to ensure that each student gets personal attention from course teachers and to foster a close-knit and welcoming academic community who support teach other and learn from each other.
- Be taught by leaders in the field of philosophy of economics, who have won prestigious research grants, and who publish in the top journals in philosophy of economics.
- Regular meetings in your second year with your thesis supervisor, as part of the “master apprentice” model of thesis supervision.
- Be part of a close-knit international community of master students, PhD students, and researchers with an avid interest in the philosophy of economics.
- A “quality culture” in which we and our students are invested in continually improving the programme.