If you would like to move to the Netherlands, you might need a visa and/or a residence permit. Depending on your nationality and length of your stay, a visa can be required to enter the Netherlands and a residence permit to stay and work in the Netherlands.

Erasmus University Rotterdam assists international staff with their immigration applications and coordinates the entire procedure for you. If you would like to explore if you need a visa and/or residence permit, what the different procedures are and how we can help you, then you can find more information below.

Do I need a visa and/or residence permit?

International staff members who have the nationality of a European EU/EEA country or Switzerland, can work and stay in the Netherlands permanently without a visa and/or residence permit. For these nationalities therefore no further immigration procedure applies, and you can travel with your passport or ID card to the Netherlands.

If you have any other nationality and want to stay and work in the Netherlands more than 90 days, you need an entry visa (MVV) and residence permit. A number of nationalities are subject to an MVV exemption, in which case only a residence permit is required. If you want to stay in the Netherlands for less than 90 days, a Schengen visa is needed instead of the MVV. Unlike the MVV and the residence permit, you need to apply for this type of visa yourself.  

If you would like to check what procedure is applicable to your situation, then you can use the checklist provided by the Dutch government. Here you can see which procedure applies based on your nationality and length of stay.

Immigration procedures and assistance offered by the EUR

If you want to stay in the Netherlands longer than 90 days, the EUR helps you with your immigration application as so-called recognized sponsor. In the Netherlands, only a recognized sponsor can apply for a visa and/or residence permit for academic work-related matters. If you would like to bring your family, the EUR assists with their first application as well.

Once your appointment is confirmed, then you will first receive a brochure with specific information about your immigration procedure. This will tell you what documents are required, the conditions you must meet and your obligations as a residence permit holder. We advise you to read up carefully and collect the necessary documents in advance. After that, you will be contacted to initiate the immigration application. You will also receive information on timelines and the procedure once the application has been approved.

Once your immigration application has been approved by the Dutch immigration authorities (IND), you can travel to the Netherlands. If you require an entry visa (MVV), then you must first collect the MVV and provide your biometric details at the Dutch embassy in your country of residence. If you don't need an MVV, then you only provide your biometric details in the Netherlands. You can then collect your residence permit at the expat center.

Finally, depending on your nationality, you might have to take a tuberculosis (TB) test in the Netherlands. The TB test will be scheduled by the EUR, will be done by the Municipal Health Service (GGD) and the fee for the first TB screening is € 50,00. There is no charge for follow-up screening.


If you have any questions about the immigration procedures, please contact HR International.

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes