Arwin van Buuren is Endowed Professor of Public Administration at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Key research themes: collaboration, governance capacity, governance of innovations, institutional dynamics, governance design. Key empirical areas of expertise: water governance (flood risk management), climate adaptation, spatial planning.
Recent and current research projects:
- RePolis Program on Citizen Initiatives and Governance Capacity (Research Excellence Initiative Erasmus University, started in 2015): www.repolis.com
- EFRO / Kansen voor West, Governance of Integrated Energy & Water Works (2013 – 2015, www.energiedijken.nl)
- Knowledge for Climate: Governance of Climate Adaptation (2010 – 2014).
Recent contract research projects:
- Evaluation of Rotterdam Model of Area Committees (together with Drift)
- Connecting Climate Adaptation and Spatial Development, advice to the Delta Commissioner
- Governance Assessment Dutch Flood Protection Program based upon OECD Water Governance Principles
- Contribution to the Resilience Strategy Rotterdam on Resilience of Governance
- Learning evaluation of pilots Multi-Layer Safety, commissioned by Ministry of Infrastructure (together with Deltares)