Dr. Josanne van Dongen is currently appointed as an associate professor of Forensic Psychology at the Erasmus University Rotterdam where she leads the forensic education within the new Forensic and Legal Psychology master program.
After her initial research on the link between psychosis and violence, she is now director of the SAFER Lab. In that lab, Social Affective and Forensic Electrophysiological Research is conducted to promote a 'safer' society. For instance, she studies electrophysiology and brain modulation techniques to investigate the role of empathy in relation to callous and unemotional traits. Insights from this research are used to develop new interventions that may reduce violence risk.
In 2017, Dr. van Dongen was (inter)nationally recognized in the field of forensic psychology by receiving a prestigious Early Career Award by the International Association of Forensic Mental Health Services, and over the years she has received different research grants. Besides publishing her work in international peer reviewed journals, Dr. van Dongen also contributed to edited books on Forensic Psychiatry, has chaired several international symposia, and is currently appointed as a member of the Board of Directors of the International Association of Forensic Mental health Services and chair of the International Scientific Council of the Expertise centre of Forensic Psychiatry in the Netherlands.
Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Burg. Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam
- J. J. Mooij, L. S. van de Lande, S. M.W. Pool, H. P.J.D. Stevens, B. van der Lei & J. A. van Dongen (2023) - The rainbow scale for the assessment of dermatochalasis of the female upper eyelid: A validated scale - Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, 76, 15-17 - doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2022.11.004 - [link]
- Josanne D.M. van Dongen, Anuska Gobardhan, Pauline Korpel & Ingmar H.A. Franken (2022) - I am bold, and do not care for social norms: The role of faux pas recognition in the relation between psychopathy and aggression - Journal of Forensic Psychology Research and Practice - doi: 10.1080/24732850.2022.2121673 - [link]
- Annemieke Ter Harmsel, Josanne D.M. van Dongen, Josjan Zijlmans, Thimo M. van der Pol, Reshmi Marhe & Arne Popma (2022) - Neurobiological responses towards stimuli depicting aggressive interactions in delinquent young adults and controls: No relation to reactive and proactive aggression - Brain Sciences, 12 (2) - doi: 10.3390/brainsci12020124 - [link]
- Carmen S. Sergiou, Emiliano Santarnecchi, Sara M. Romanella, Matthias J. Wieser, Ingmar H.A. Franken, Eric G.C. Rassin & Josanne D.M. van Dongen (2022) - Transcranial direct current stimulation targeting the ventromedial prefrontal cortex reduces reactive aggression and modulates electrophysiological responses in a forensic population - Biological Psychiatry-Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, 7 (1), 95-107 - doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2021.05.007 - [link]
- L van Hoogdalem, H Feijs, W Bramer, Sohal Ismail & Josanne van Dongen (2021) - The Effectiveness of Neurofeedback Therapy as an Alternative Treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Children - Journal of Psychophysiology, 35 (2), 102-115 - doi: 10.1027/0269-8803/a000265 - [link]
- Ilse Verveer, Aron T. Hill, Ingmar H.A. Franken, Murat Yücel, Josanne D.M. van Dongen & Rebecca Segrave (2021) - Modulation of control: Can HD-tDCS targeting the dACC reduce impulsivity? - Brain Research, 1756 - doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2021.147282 - [link]
- Josanne D.M. van Dongen, Manon de Groot, Eric Rassin, Rick H. Hoyle & Ingmar H.A. Franken (2021) - Sensation seeking and its relationship with psychopathic traits, impulsivity and aggression: A validation of the Dutch Brief Sensation Seeking Scale (BSSS) - Psychiatry, Psychology and Law, 29 (1), 20-32 - doi: 10.1080/13218719.2020.1821825 - [link]
- C Vize, S Roy, K Uzieblo, Josanne Dongen, J Miller, D Lynam, I Brazil, D Yoon, A Mokros, NS Gray, R Snowden & CS (Craig) Neumann (2021) - Triarchic or septarchic?: Uncovering the Triarchic Psychopathy Measure’s (TriPM) structure - Personality Disorders-Theory Research and Treatment, 12 (1), 1-15 - doi: 10.1037/per0000392 - [link]
- B Dinic, A Raine, A Vujic & Josanne van Dongen (2020) - Cross-cultural validity of the reactive-proactive aggression questionnaire among adults across five countries - Journal of Interpersonal Violence - doi: 10.1177/0886260520966672 - [link]
- S Roy, C Vize, K Uzieblo, Josanne van Dongen, JD Miller, DR Lynam, I Brazil, D Yoon, A Mokros, NS Gray, R Snowden & CS Neumann (2020) - The perils of untested assumptions in theory testing: a reply to Patrick et al. (2020) - Personality Disorders-Theory Research and Treatment, 12 (1), 24-28 - doi: 10.1037/per0000461 - [link]
- Josanne Dongen (2019) - International Journal of Forensic Mental Health (Journal)
- Josanne Dongen (2016) - Threat assessment of disordered threateners
- Josanne Dongen, I Brazil & Ingmar Franken (2015) - Psychopathy and its relation to empathy
- Josanne Dongen & T van Neerbos (2015) - Threat assessment of disordered threateners
4.1C Intro. to Forensic and Legal Psych
- Course Code
4.1P Forensic Psych. Assessment in Crim.
- Course Code
4.2C Etiology of Offender Types & Foren.
- Course Code
4.2P Techniques in Forensic Neuroscience
- Course Code
4.5 Moot Court Legal Psychology
- Course Code