Follow the latest news about Erasmus Centre for Health Economics Rotterdam (EsCHER) seminars, events and PhD defences here.
Eddy van Doorslaer Research Excellence Award
Erasmus Centre for Health Economics Research is accepting (self-)nominations for the first Eddy van Doorslaer Research Excellence Award. As of 2023, this award is presented to recognize excellent research in the broad field of Health Economics, including Health Technology Assessment and Health Systems and Insurance research. The prize will be awarded annually to an early career EsCHER affiliate with the best published paper in the previous calendar year.
As part of this research excellence award, laureates are awarded the opportunity to present at a symposium sponsored and hosted by EsCHER, which will be fully designated to the winner and their research interests.
- The applicant is an early career researcher (formerly) affiliated with EsCHER: either a research assistant, postdoctoral researcher, current or former PhD candidate employed by one of the EsCHER departments. Applicants who obtained their PhD should have graduated no more than five years ago. (Note: in future years, listing the EsCHER affiliation on your submitted paper will become mandatory).
- Each researcher can submit one manuscript that was published in the year 2022 and strongly contributes to the Health Economics literature, including Health Technology Assessment and Health Systems and Insurance research.
- The applicant must be the lead or corresponding author of the submitted manuscript or they must declare a contribution to its publication that is at least as large as that of any coauthor.
- Joint papers by two (or more) early career EsCHER affiliates are also accepted. The prize can be shared among the authors (if they meet the criteria) to encourage collaborations among early career researchers.
- Apply by sending the manuscript to email@example.com with subject Eddy van Doorslaer Award for Research Excellence before 31 March 2023 23:59 CET.
- The content of the message should include: current and, if relevant, past affiliation, date of graduation (masters or PhD), declaration of contribution at least as large of any other coauthor if not lead or corresponding author.
- The winner is selected by a jury consisting of multiple members of the EsCHER steering board and Eddy van Doorslaer himself, who will base themselves on the manuscript’s contribution to the literature and quality and accuracy of the work.
- In the last week of April, the jury announces the winner through the EsCHER media channels.
EsCHER call for funding
Dear EsCHER members,
The Erasmus Centre for Health Economics Rotterdam (EsCHER) bundles and promotes the unique and leading expertise in the field of Health Economics that is present in Rotterdam. To further promote ongoing research and teaching efforts in the field of Health Economics, we are happy to announce this call for EsCHER funded events in 2023.
Objective & Scope
This call for events offers EsCHER affiliates (i.e., researchers who are members of or affiliated with the research groups listed here: https://www.eur.nl/en/research/escher/research) financial support to organize events that align with EsCHER’s goals of promoting health economics research and teaching in Rotterdam. The funding call is aimed to cover the costs of expenses arising from organizing such an event (e.g., venue costs, catering, travel costs for international participants).
EsCHER will consider supporting events up to a total of € 5,000 per event. The available budget allows for multiple events to be granted funding. Note that this call is intended for EsCHER members to organize events on the EUR campus taking place before 31/12/2023 that benefit EsCHER members and their visibility, not to support EsCHER members to visit events or travel, even if this is to disseminate EsCHER research.
Examples of events that would be considered eligible:
- EsCHER lectures by international experts on health economics topics
- Organizing a symposium surrounding inauguration/PhD defenses or a topic of interest
- EsCHER graduate course on topics or skills relevant to the health economics field
- EsCHER research workshop with international participants
Application process and procedure
The deadline for applications to be submitted is March 1st 2023. The submissions will be reviewed by the EsCHER board, consisting of the department heads of each of the research groups that are part of EsCHER.
Applicants should consider including in their submission the following: 1) A short description of the event (~300 words), 2) A motivation on how EsCHER affiliates could benefit from the event (~300 words) and 3) Provisional budget. Please note that EsCHER provides only financial support and communication of the event through its social media channels (i.e., the organization of the event will fall onto the applicant). Hence, ideally applications also describe how the event will be set-up and advertised to potentially interested EsCHER affiliates.
Applications should be submitted to the EsCHER at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will receive the decision in writing within two weeks after the application deadline. If you have any queries or would like to discuss a potential event, please contact us at email@example.com
EsCHER awards scholarships
Erasmus Centre for Health Economics Rotterdam (EsCHER) starts awarding scholarships to support excellent students from countries that are not part of the European Economic Area (EEA).
EsCHER is part of Erasmus University Rotterdam and bundles unique and leading expertise in the field of Health Economics. With over 100 health economists and located in the Netherlands, EsCHER has a central role in developing and applying methods that contribute to more effective, evidence-based policies and more equitable and efficient health care systems around the world.
The scholarships are offered for the master programmes Health Economics and Health Economics, Policy & Law, starting at the academic year 2022-2023. For more information on the scholarship and the educational programmes EsCHER is involved with, please visit the EsCHER website.
Save the date for lolaHESG 2023
EsCHER welcomes you to the 15th lowlands Health Economists' Study Group (lolaHESG) conference on 25-26 May 2023. Be sure to mark these dates in your calendar, information on the submission of abstracts and registration for this increasingly popular health economics conference will follow soon!
EsCHER regularly organises seminars in which (inter) national health economists present their current research. These seminars are sponsored by the Tinbergen Institute.
For more information on upcoming seminars click here.