Eric Rassin (1969) is Endowed Professor of Legal Psychology at the Faculty of Social Sciences and the School of Law at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Prof. mr. dr. Rassin studied law and mental health sciences. He obtained his PhD degree at the University of Maastricht (2000) for a thesis on thought suppression. Previously he worked at Maastricht University. Besides his part time appointment at the EUR, he acts as an expert witness for various Criminal Courts in the Netherlands.
His research interests include legal decision making (confirmation bias, tunnel vision, indecisiveness, negative evidence, and logical thinking), lie detection, interview and interrogation. Rassin has written over one hundred publications, including articles in international peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, and books.
Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Burg. Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam
Erasmus School of Law
- Burg. Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam
- Nurul Arbiyah, Henry Otgaar, Melanie Sauerland, Eric Rassin, Enide Maegherman & Harald Merckelbach (2023) - The use of alternative scenarios in assessing the reliability of victims’ statements - Psychology, Crime and Law - doi: 10.1080/1068316X.2023.2236274 - [link]
- Eric Rassin, Carmen Sergiou, Dimitri van der Linden & Josanne van Dongen (2023) - Psychopathy as a predisposition to lie hedonistically - Psychology, Crime and Law - doi: 10.1080/1068316X.2023.2213802 - [link]
- Carmen S. Sergiou, Emiliano Santarnecchi, Sara M. Romanella, Matthias J. Wieser, Ingmar H.A. Franken, Eric G.C. Rassin & Josanne D.M. van Dongen (2022) - Transcranial direct current stimulation targeting the ventromedial prefrontal cortex reduces reactive aggression and modulates electrophysiological responses in a forensic population - Biological Psychiatry-Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, 7 (1), 95-107 - doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2021.05.007 - [link]
- Eric Rassin (2022) - Suggested false memories of a non-existent film: forensically relevant individual differences in the crashing memories paradigm - Memory, 30 (9), 1205-1211 - doi: 10.1080/09658211.2022.2085750 - [link]
- Henry Otgaar, Sanne T.L. Houben, EGC (Eric) Rassin & Harald Merckelbach (2021) - Memory and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy: A potentially risky combination in the courtroom - Memory, 29 (9), 1254-1262 - doi: 10.1080/09658211.2021.1966043 - [link]
- Eric Rassin (2021) - ‘Anyone who commits such a cruel crime, must be criminally irresponsible’: Context effects in forensic psychological assessment - Psychiatry, Psychology and Law, 29 (4), 506-515 - doi: 10.1080/13218719.2021.1938272 - [link]
- Josanne D.M. van Dongen, Manon de Groot, Eric Rassin, Rick H. Hoyle & Ingmar H.A. Franken (2021) - Sensation seeking and its relationship with psychopathic traits, impulsivity and aggression: A validation of the Dutch Brief Sensation Seeking Scale (BSSS) - Psychiatry, Psychology and Law, 29 (1), 20-32 - doi: 10.1080/13218719.2020.1821825 - [link]
- Eric Rassin (2020) - Context effect and confirmation bias in criminal fact finding - Legal and Criminological Psychology, 25 (2), 80-89 - doi: 10.1111/lcrp.12172 - [link]
- Eric Rassin (2016) - Daarom dus: De psychologie van oorzaak en gevolg in 20 raadsels
- Eric Rassin (2016) - Defining forensic psycho(patho)logy
- Start date approval
- januari 2016
- End date approval
- december 9999
- DEN HAAG