Which immigration procedure applies to you?

Current facets (Pre-Master)

Do I require an entry visa? Or only a residence permit?

It depends on your nationality for which immigration procedure you have to apply. There are two different procedures:

  • Only a residence permit               
  • Entry visa + residence permit

Please check the following table for which procedure you have to apply. Both procedures need to be arranged before your arrival in the Netherlands. It can take up to 6 weeks before it is approved by the Dutch Immigration Services. Without a valid entry visa and/or residence permit, it is not possible to complete your enrollment at Erasmus University. We therefore would like to stress the urgency of applying for your entry visa and/or residence permit well in time.

Groups of countriesProcedure (stay longer than 3 months)

Group I

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Sweden

No immigration procedure needed

Group II

Australia*, Canada*, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand*, Vatican City, United States of America, South Korea

Only a residence permit

Group III

Albania, Armenia, Andorra, Argentina*, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Macedonia, Malaysia, Morocco, Mexico, Moldova, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore,  Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela

Entry visa + residence permit

Group IV

All other countries (those not mentioned in group I, II or III)

Entry visa + residence permit


Exempted from the Nuffic certificate are:
  • Hong Kong citizens
  • Students with a British Overseas Nationality
  • Students from Taiwan

Entry visa + residence permit

(including Nuffic-certificate)

* Students from Argentina, Australia, Canada and New Zealand can apply for a Working Holiday Programme (WHP).

Exceptional situations

  1. If you already have a residence permit with Erasmus University and you need to extend this, you need to apply for this by yourself, by contacting the International Office of Erasmus University (immigration@eur.nl)
  2. If you need to change your purpose of stay (for instance you have a residence permit which is linked to a study programme at a different Dutch University) you also need to change this yourself by contacting the International Office of Erasmus University (immigration@eur.nl). Please do still forward a copy of your current residence permit to Erasmus School of Economics (osc-visa@ese.eur.nl)