Jacco van Sterkenburg works as an Associate Professor in the Department of Media & Communication at Erasmus University. He obtained his PhD at the Humanities faculty of Utrecht University in 2011. In addition, Jacco has an MA (Drs.) degree in Psychology at Utrecht University with a specialization in Cross-cultural Psychology.
For the past years, Jacco van Sterkenburg’s research has focused in particular on the following topics:
- Football and racism in a broad sense, including media, leadership, professional and recreational sports/football
- Media and Diversity
- Race, ethnicity, gender, whiteness in sport leadership and sport coaching
- Race/ethnicity, nationality, and gender in mediated football in an internationally comparative perspective;
- Nationality changes and migration patterns in football and sport, and changing ideas on citizenship and fandom, in an internationally comparative perspective
- Media, migration, diversity and discrimination in general, in a European perspective
- the Paralympics on television.
Jacco’s research has gained recognition inside and outside academia. This is evident from academic awards and grants such as the NWO Vidi grant for a 5-year project on race/ethnicity and whiteness in mediated football (2018-2023), an Erasmus+ grant (co-applicant (2020-23) on race and gender in football leadership and communication across European football, FIFA and UEFA scholarships, and various Erasmus University Rotterdam grants. He has publications in books (e.g. on sport and race/ethnicity. with Routledge) and peer-refereed journals such as Media Culture & Society, European Journal of Cultural Studies, Journal of Sport and Social Issues, International Review for the Sociology of Sport, Soccer & Society and Journal of Multicultural Discourses. He has participated in advisory committees, popular fora, debates, and TV programs. Moreover, Jacco acts as a supervisor (‘co-promotor’) of four PhD candidates and has been a visiting faculty at Roehampton University, Brunel University (London), University of Copenhagen, and a Visiting Professor at Victoria University Melbourne (Australia, January 2018).
Currently, Jacco van Sterkenburg is also a Visiting Research Fellow at Mulier Institute, a member of Young Erasmus, an editorial board member of the peer refereed journal Communication and Sport, and one of the twelve Advisory Board Members of the International Sociology of Sport Association (ISSA) (2016-2023).
Jacco’s teaching focuses on intercultural communication, media research methods, sociology of sport, media and diversity, audience reception research and theory, politics of representation, and research methods. He holds the Senior Qualification for Teaching (SKO) and acts as the BA-1 coordinator of the International Bachelor Communication and Media (IBCoM) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.