Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
ESSB is home to a vast diversity of study programmes and scientific disciplines: Pedagogical Sciences, Psychology, Public Administration and Sociology. In addition, the Erasmus University College, IHS, and two research institutes RISBO and DRIFT are linked to the faculty. Our education is small-scale and based around Problem Based Learning (PBL). Being connected to the professional field is another characteristic of our study programmes. This is explicitly reflected in our ESSB strategy: Meeting the Future Society.
Dean Prof. Victor Bekkers of the Erasmus School of Social Sciences and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB) is responsible for the faculty. Since 1 July 2019 the organizational structure is as follows:
- Prof. Victor Bekkers, Dean ESSB (chair)
- Prof. Bram Steijn, Vice-Dean for Education
- Prof. Semiha Denktas, Vice-Dean for Research
- Dr. Mariette de Jong, Director of Operations
Contact person management team
Mr.drs. Barbara van Zeijl-Taal, Secretary to the Executive Board | e-mail: email@example.com
Faculty Management Board (FMB)
The Dean is the Chair of the FMB. All members of the Management Team, directors of the departments, dean EUC and a student are member of the FMB. Representative of the policy advisors and the business controller are advisors for the FMB.
The Faculty Council acts as a participational body at the faculty level. The Faculty Council consists of 50% of students and 50% of employees of the ESSB. At important faculty matters the dean consults with the Faculty Council.
Department of Public Administration and Sociology (DPAS). Director: Prof. Arwin van Buuren
Department of Psychology, Education & Child Studies (DPECS). Director: Dr. Katinka Dijkstra
Erasmus University College (EUC). Prof. Gabriele Jacobs, dean EUC.
Education and research directors
Programme directors DPAS:
- Dr. Brenda Vermeeren, bachelor Public Administration
- Dr. Rogier van Reekum, bachelor Sociology
- Dr. Jolien Grandia, bachelor Management of International Social Challenges
- Dr. Jasper Eshuis, master programmes Public Administration
- Prof. Ferry Koster, master programmes Sociology
- Prof. Peter Scholten, research Public Administration
- Prof. Jeroen van der Waal, research Sociology
Programme directors DPECS:
- Dr. Annemarie Hiemstra, bachelor Psychology
- Dr. Marieke Meeuwisse, bachelor Pedagogical Sciences
- Dr. René Zeelenberg, master programmes Psychology
- Dr. Nicole Lucassen, master programmes Pedagogical Sciences
- Prof. Mathias Wieser, research Psychology
- Prof. Maartje Luijk, research Pedagogical Sciences
The Dean EUC is also the programme director for the Liberal Arts and Sciences bachelor programme.
All support and management staff who do not specifically work for one department are part of the Dean’s Office. Director of Dean’s Office is the Director Operations: Dr. Mariette de Jong
Risbo, Director drs. Jan de Boom
DRIFT, Director prof. Derk Loorbach
IHS, Director drs. Kees van Rooijen
There are also some advisory committees within the faculty:
- Education: the programme committees, examination committees
- Research: the permanent committee for scientific practice
- Library and information: the Library Committee
Ava Irani (firstname.lastname@example.org), faculty liaison for Sociology, Pedagogical Sciences, and Health Policy and Management
Frea Haandrikman (email@example.com), faculty liaison for Public Administration, EUC, and ISS
Judith Gulpers (firstname.lastname@example.org), faculty liaison for Psychology, and Philosophy
Faculty regulations & management instructions
The main aspects of the faculty's administrative organisation are laid down in the faculty regulations. The formal basis of the faculty's management organisation is laid down in the management instruction.