Rotterdam Talent Scholarship
Highly qualified, Dutch students with a clear financial need who live in Rotterdam or attend secondary school in Rotterdam are eligible to apply for the Erasmus University College (EUC) Rotterdam Talent Scholarship (ROTAS). The EUC Rotterdam Talent Scholarship is awarded for the duration of the bachelor programme, with a maximum of three years. Only newly admitted students of EUC can apply for this scholarship.
Scholarship applicants need to make a strong case to be considered for this scholarship. Applicants will be asked for additional documentation to support their request for financial assistance. Students are expected to make optimal use of the financial support available from the Dutch state (supplementary grant, or ‘aanvullende beurs’) if they want to be considered for this scholarship.
This scholarship is tailored to fully cover the tuition fee, housing costs (approximately €650 per month) and expenses for books and study materials.
To receive the Rotterdam Talent Scholarship (ROTAS) meant a lot for me. No matter how much I wanted to go to EUC, the tuition was holding me back because I could not pay it. Fortunately, with ROTAS I was reimbursed for the tuition, housing, books and laptop. It took an enormous financial burden off my shoulders. ROTAS helped also for my professional development with networking, summer jobs and job application letters.
(For Dutch scroll down)
- You currently live within the municipality of Rotterdam (Rotterdam, Hoek van Holland, Hoogvliet & Rozenburg) or you are completing (or have completed) your secondary education within the municipality of Rotterdam (Rotterdam, Hoek van Holland, Hoogvliet & Rozenburg);
- You have applied for the bachelor’s programme Liberal Arts & Sciences at Erasmus University College for 2021-2022;
- You meet the application criteria to study at EUC;
- You lack sufficient financial means to pay for your study at EUC;
- You are able to provide ROTAS with specific information concerning your financial situation;
Students can apply for the ROTAS Scholarship from the moment they have been accepted to EUC. We advise you to do so within two weeks after acceptance. Latest ROTAS application date is 14 June 2021.
How to Apply
You can apply for the Erasmus University College - Rotterdam Talent Scholarship by taking the following steps:
- Complete your application for Erasmus University College by following the regular procedure, honoring the application deadline.
- Complete the ROTAS application form here as soon as being accepted by EUC and sent the form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who are considered eligible for the scholarship will be invited for an interview at the Stichting ter Ondersteuning van Rotterdamse Talenten (STORT) to further elaborate on their application.
- Within a week after the interview you will be notified regarding the scholarship award decisions.
Students who receive a scholarship are at all times expected to inform the Scholarship Committee about substantial improvements of their financial situation. Scholarships can then be decreased in value or withdrawn and spent on other students in need.
Grantees agree to assist EUC’s Marketing & Recruitment team in the role of Ambassador with promotional and support activities during the academic year.
ROTAS makes every effort to implement its programme with integrity. If you have, nevertheless, experienced an undesirable situation, have a question, or would like to comment on the processes within ROTAS, we ask you to contact one or both of the board members appointed as confidential advisors:
- Hidde Verkade (chairman of the board at STORT, Programme Manager Stichting De Verre Bergen): email@example.com
- Gera Noordzij (member of the board at STORT, Head of Department at EUC): firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost overview 2021-2022 with ROTAS
|Amount per year|
Amount for ROTAS scholarship students
Tuition fees are covered by the scholarship
+/- € 7. 944**
Housing admin fee
€ 200 (one-time payment)
+/- € 3.500
+/- € 3.500
EUCSA membership fee
*The Dutch government reduces tuition fees substantially for first-year students in higher education. Please check the Government statement for reference.
**Students might be eligible for rent benefit (huurtoeslag) from the Dutch government. This would effectively reduce annual costs by approximately € 2.200. For more information visit www.belastingdienst.nl (switch to English at the bottom of the page and search for 'rent benefit' and select the first available option). Additionally, take into account monthly municipal taxes that have to be paid by every Rotterdam citizen. They amount to approximately € 45,-.
***Prices are quoted for purchasing new books, second hand books are usually cheaper. Note: the stated amounts should be considered averages and may vary depending on the courses you take.
****First-year housing at LUCIA is covered by the ROTAS scholarship. For the second- and third-year students a monthly compensation of € 475,- is provided for their housing costs.
*****Students get a maximum compensation of € 1.000,- for buying a laptop at the beginning of the studies, and € 200 yearly for buying books and other study-related materials.
Please note: These tuition fees can be subject to change. The numbers you see in the table are an indication. Prior to the start of the academic year, tuition fees may be modified by the Dutch government. Erasmus University Rotterdam reserves the right to make changes affecting policies, fees, curricula, or any other matter announced in this publication without further notice.
To receive the ROTAS grant, meant there was one less thing to worry about. You are not any different from the rest of the students, you only receive financial support in order to study. You are in contact with the ROTAS team from the beginning, which helps with many other things. You also meet other ROTAS grantees in advance and don’t feel alone the first day of university.