EsCHER scholarship for excellent students 2023-2024
Erasmus Centre for Health Economics (EsCHER), part of Erasmus University Rotterdam, has unique and world leading expertise in the field of Health Economics. EsCHER offers the following master programmes within Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management (ESHPM) and Erasmus School of Economics (ESE):
EsCHER awards scholarships to support excellent students from countries that are not part of the European Economic Area (EEA). Applications from low and middle income countries are especially encouraged. This scholarship concerns a partial tuition fee waiver for the Health Economics, Policy & Law (HEPL) or for specialisation Health Economics (HE) for the academic year 2023-2024.
In order to qualify for financial support under the provision of an individual waiver for excellent students from non-EEA countries, the following general and additional conditions apply:
- The general conditions for the waiver are laid down in the Regulations Financial Support fund (Chapter 1, p. 14). All general conditions have to be met in order to be eligible for the fee waiver;
- The fee waiver reduces the institutional tuition fee to no more than the fee of the full statutory tuition fee as intended in article 7.45 of the Higher education and Research Act (hereafter: WHW), i.e., to €2,314 in 2023-2024, or to the rate of the increased statutory tuition fee as intended in article 6.7 of the WHW;
- Please note that grant applications will only be considered if the student has also submitted an application for the master programme Health Economics, Policy & Law or Health Economics before the April 15th, 2023;The applicant must be a national of a non-EEA country.
- If the applicant has not completed a relevant bachelor degree or if the applicant was a student at the Erasmus University Rotterdam within the past five years, the applicant will not be entitled to a waiver;
- The applicant must request the waiver for the master programme Health Economics, Policy & Law or for the specialisation Health Economics;
- The applicant must demonstrate that the admission requirements for the master programme for which the waiver is requested are met*;
- The applicant must have achieved excellent study results during the most recent full academic year, i.e. an average grade point average (GPA) of at least 8.0 on the Dutch 0-10 grading scale or grade equivalent on a different scale
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate the reason why this single reduction on tuition fee will enlarge his/her opportunity to study at ESHPM or ESE by including a detailed financial statement in which it is explained how the applicant is going to support him/herself for the remaining tuition fee, the living expenses (estimated at €950 per month), and mandatory health insurance.
* Admission requirements can be found here for the HEPL master and here for the HE specialisation.
Applicants granted this tuition fee waiver should be aware that the waiver only applies to the academic year 2023-2024.
All applicants are to be aware that the number of applicants may exceed the number of available waivers. No rights can be derived when the abovementioned minimum application criteria are met. In addition, to be able to provide as many applicants with a partial waiver/scholarship, only 1 scholarship will be awarded to 1 applicant. Hence, a combination of multiple scholarships will not be awarded.
The deans of ESHPM and ESE assess the applications, award the fee waiver, and determine the exact amount of the fee. The deans of ESHPM and ESE reserve the right to withdraw the offer for the waiver if the applicant fails to comply with the abovementioned conditions and terms.
Note: in case the fee waiver has been awarded whilst the applicant did not meet all requirements, the fee waiver can be withdrawn and a refund of the scholarship will be required from the applicant.
Amount and payment
This scholarship concerns a partial tuition fee waiver for the year 2023-2024. Students who are awarded the waiver will therefore not directly receive a sum of money themselves.
Application and selection procedure
In order to apply for the tuition fee waiver, you need to prepare the following documents:
- Motivation letter stating your motivation to study at ESHPM or ESE, showing evidence of being an excellent student and participating in extracurricular activities (max. two A4).
- A certified copy of your (most recent) academic transcript, including your GPA calculated up to the moment of application. If the GPA is not presented on your academic transcript, we kindly receive a certified statement from your educational institution confirming your obtained GPA.
- Evidence of your completed admission the master programme for which the waiver is requested.
- Financial statement, describing your financial situation and how you plan to finance your studies in case you receive the partial waiver. Preferably, the EUR budget plan is used, which is found here.
Once you have gathered all the required information, you can send your application by April 15th 2023 via this form.
Please note that incomplete applications and waiver requests received after the deadline, will not be considered.
The applications will be reviewed after 15 April 2023 by a selection committee, chaired by the dean of ESHPM or ESE. The committee assesses the following criteria:
- Application for HEPL or HE master programme (scored yes/no)
- Are admission requirements for HEPL or HE master programme met (scored yes/no)
- GPA most recent full academic year of at least 8.0 on Dutch grading scale or grade equivalent (scored yes/no)
- Quality assessment of motivation letter (scored 0-10)
- Risk assessment of financial statement (scored 0-10)
To be eligible for selection, the scores for criteria 1 through 3 should be yes and scores for quality and risk should both surpass 7.5. Amongst applicants meeting all requirements, a scholarship will be awarded to the applicant with the highest total score. In case of a tie, the selection committee decides on who to grant the scholarship. Note that in case of tie, applicants from low and middle income countries will be prioritized. In the case that two scholarships are awarded (i.e. for the HEPL and HE program), the highest scoring applicant (fulfilling all requirements) per master program will be selected, using the same procedure.
All applicants will be officially informed via e-mail about the outcome of their application. If you are awarded a tuition fee waiver, you will receive further details in that email (sent before May 15th 2023).
|Who can apply?|
Note: if the applicant has not completed a relevant bachelor degree or if the applicant was a student at the Erasmus University Rotterdam within the past five years, they will not be entitled to a tuition fee waiver.
|Scholarschip / Grant in €|
Once the applicant has gathered all the required information, they can complete their scholarship application form before April 15th 2023
Note: incomplete applications and scholarship requests received after the deadline will not be considered.
|Contact||Contact EsCHER at firstname.lastname@example.org|