The Erasmus Graduate School of Social Sciences and the Humanities (EGS3H), established in September 2012, is constituted as a joint venture of Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB), the Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC), Erasmus School of Philosophy, and the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS).
Though a variety of activities EGS3H supports doctoral candidates in their endeavor towards obtaining a PhD degree, and in becoming independent, fully qualified and responsible researchers in the Social Sciences and the Humanities. EGS3H provides a stimulating scientific environment in which young researchers, experienced staff and international scholars can mutually inspire each other.
The Graduate School has the following tasks:
- Increasing the visibility and image of the participating PhD training programmes, both to the world outside and within the EUR university community;
- Monitoring, guaranteeing and increasing the quality and performance of doctoral research related education and research;
- Increasing the efficiency and expediency of doctoral research related education;
- Developing and facilitating new programmes and provisions in the area of doctoral research related education;
- Stimulating interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary doctoral research aimed at encouraging cross-pollination between scientifically excellent and socially relevant research;
- Creating an inspiring research environment for doctoral candidates;
- Providing a platform to doctoral candidates aimed at exchanging and sharing experiences and thus contributing to the social and academic cohesion within the group of doctoral candidates in question.