For media inquiries and appearances contact Marjolein Kooistra, firstname.lastname@example.org, +31 (0) 10 408 2135. Direct inquiries will not be accepted.
Willem Schinkel (1976) is Professor of Social Theory at Erasmus University Rotterdam and a member of the Young Academy of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW).
He finished his PhD. (cum laude) in 2005, which won him the Willem Nagel triennial book-prize of the Dutch Society for Criminology. He publishes in a wide range of subjects, including social theory and social philosophy, the sociology of art and STS. In 2007, he was visiting scholar at NYU (New York, USA); in 2010 he was visiting scholar at the Institute for Public Knowledge (NYU); and in the spring of 2011 he was visiting scholar at Humboldt University in Berlin (philosophy department).
After working on a Veni grant from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), he is currently the principal investigator of the ERC project Monitoring Modernity, which focuses on the ways society is imagined in the monitoring of flows of migrants, flows of capital and climate change.
Visit his personal website for more information.
Key publications (selection):
- (2012): De nieuwe democratie. Naar andere vormen van politiek. Amsterdam: Bezige Bij.
- (2011), edited, with Liesbeth Noordegraaf-Eelens: In Medias Res. Peter Sloterdijk's Spherological Poetics of Being. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
- (2010): Aspects of Violence. A Critical Theory, Houndmills: Palgrave MacMillan.
- (2009), edited: Globalization & the State. Sociological Perspectives on the State of the State. Houndmills: Palgrave MacMillan.
- (2008): De gedroomde samenleving. Kampen: Klement.
- (2007): Denken in een tijd van sociale hypochondrie. Aanzet tot een theorie voorbij de maatschappij. Kampen: Klement.