Erasmus University Holland Scholarship and Erasmus School of Economics Waiver 2021-2022
Application for this Scholarship closed on 1 February.
The Erasmus University Holland Scholarship is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science and Erasmus University Rotterdam. The scholarship is meant for international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who want to pursue a bachelor or master degree in the Netherlands. The EEA consists of the EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and students from these countries thus cannot apply. The scholarship amounts to € 10.000.
On top of that, Erasmus School of Economics has created a separate fund to support excellent prospective master students. This scholarship concerns a partial tuition fee waiver of € 2.000 for the year 2021-2022. This Excellent Student Waiver is awarded in combination with the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship.
The Erasmus University Holland Scholarship is not applicable to current ESE pre-master or master students.
In order to qualify for financial support under the provision of an Erasmus University Holland Scholarship, an applicant:
- Must be a national of a country that is not part of the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Must have never been enrolled before as a full degree student at an educational institution in the Netherlands.
- Must be admitted to one of the following programmes*:
- Master Accounting, Auditing and Control
- Master Econometrics and Management Science
- Master Economics and Business
- Must have registered for one of the above-mentioned master programmes at Erasmus School of Economics in Studielink, as well as having submitted the application documents in the EUR Application Portal before 1 February in order to be considered for the scholarship.
- Must have achieved excellent study results during his/her previous bachelor programme. This means an average final result of at least grade 8.5 on a grading scale of 1-10.
- Must be able to demonstrate the reason why this scholarship will enlarge his/her opportunity to study at Erasmus School of Economics by including a detailed financial statement, describing your financial situation and how you plan to finance your studies (i.e. cover your tuition fee payment), in case you will receive the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship.
- Must have completed the immigration application before 15 May. Completing the immigration procedure entails having submitted the immigration application documents, as well as having transferred the remaining tuition fee + remaining part of the living fee deposit + the IND handling fee before 15 May. For more information, please see the section ‘Amount and payment’ below and the website on immigration procedures for prospective students.
- Must eventually be enrolled no later than 1 September of the academic year for which the scholarship is being requested.
* An admission offer is not required at the moment of application, however, only students with an admission offer will be considered for the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship.
Terms & conditions
The applicant granted the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship should be aware that it applies to only one academic year and he/she can only receive the scholarship once.
The scholarship will only be awarded when the applicant will start with the same programme for which he/she has applied and for which the applicant has received admission. Switching programmes after being awarded a scholarship is not possible.
The number of applications each year exceeds the number of available scholarships. No rights can therefore be derived when the above-mentioned minimum application criteria are met.
To be able to provide as many applicants with a scholarship, only 1 type of scholarship will be awarded to 1 applicant. This means you may apply for multiple scholarships; however, a combination of multiple scholarships will not be awarded.
Erasmus School of Economics reserves the right to withdraw the offer for the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship if the applicant fails to comply with the terms and conditions.
Amount and payment
The Erasmus University Holland Scholarship amount of € 10.000 is split into two parts: € 5.000 is used as reduction on the tuition fee, the other € 5.000 will be received by the student through 10 monthly payments. The amount of € 5.000 that the student will receive, can be used as part of the required living fee deposit for the immigration procedure (which is € 900 times 12 months = € 10.800).
The student will receive an additional partial tuition fee waiver of € 2.000 from Erasmus School of Economics which can be – together with the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship tuition fee reduction – deducted from the total amount of college tuition fee for 2021/2022.
This means, should you be awarded with an Erasmus University Holland Scholarship and Erasmus School of Economics Waiver, you are to transfer the remaining part of your tuition fee (€ 15.600 for 2021/2022 – € 5.000 Erasmus University Holland Scholarship tuition fee reduction – € 2.000 Erasmus School of Economics Waiver = € 8.600) + remaining deposit for the cost of living (€ 10.800 – € 5.000 Erasmus University Holland Scholarship = € 5.800) + IND handling fee (€ 174) before 15 May.
In order to apply for the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship, you need to prepare the following documents:
- Motivation letter: stating your motivation to study at Erasmus School of Economics, showing evidence of being an excellent student and demonstrating why the scholarship would enlarge the opportunity to study at Erasmus School of Economics (max. two A4).
- Financial statement: describing your financial situation and how you plan to finance your studies in case you will receive the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship.
- Certified copy of your (most recent) academic transcript, including your GPA calculated up to the moment of application. If the GPA is not presented on your academic transcript, we kindly receive a certified statement from your educational institution confirming your obtained GPA.
Once you have gathered all the required information, you can submit your application online.
The application will be open from 1 November until 1 February (deadline: 31 January 23:59). Please note that scholarship applications received – or incomplete – after the deadline, will not be considered.
The applications will be reviewed after 1 February.
All applicants will be officially informed via e-mail about the outcome of their scholarship application. If you are awarded the Erasmus University Holland Scholarship, you will receive further details in the nomination email. All emails will be sent in the beginning of April.