Which procedure applies to you?

Do I require an entry visa? Or only a residence permit?

It depends on your nationality for which immigration procedure you have to apply. There are two different procedures:

  • Only a residence permit               
  • Entry visa + residence permit

Please check the following table to determine which procedure applies to you. Both procedures need to be arranged before your arrival in the Netherlands. It can take up to 6 weeks before your application is approved by the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service. Without a valid entry visa and/or residence permit, it is not possible to complete your enrollment at Erasmus University. We therefore would like to stress the urgency of applying for your entry visa and/or residence permit well in time.

Groups of countriesProcedure (stay longer than 3 months)

Group I

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden

No immigration procedure needed

Group II

Australia*, Canada*, Japan*, Monaco, New Zealand*, South Korea*, United Kingom, United States of America, Vatican City.

Only a residence permit

Group III

Albania, Armenia, Andorra, Argentina*, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Macedonia, Malaysia, Morocco, Mexico, Moldova, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore,  Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay*, Venezuela

Entry visa + residence permit

Group IV

All other countries (those not mentioned in group I, II or III)

Entry visa + residence permit

* Students from Argentina, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan and Uruguay can apply for a Working Holiday Programme (WHP).

Exceptional situations

  1. If you already have a Dutch residence permit, valid for the duration of your study at Earsmus University Rotterdam, we kindly ask you to send a copy of your current residence permit via e-mail to the department Enrolment, Deregistration and Funding (edf.es@eur.nl).
  2. If you have a Dutch residence permit, but you need to change the purpose of stay or change the institution (for instance you have a residence permit which is linked to a study programme at a different Dutch University) you need to change this yourself by contacting the International Office of Erasmus University (immigration@eur.nl).
  3. If you already have a Dutch residence permit with Erasmus University, but you need to extend this, you need to apply for this by yourself, by contacting the International Office of Erasmus University (immigration@eur.nl).

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes