Which procedure applies to you?

Do I require an entry visa? Or only a residence permit?

It depends on your nationality for which visa procedure you have to apply. There are two different procedures:

  • Only a residence permit               
  • Entry visa + residence permit

Please check the following table for which procedure you have to apply. Both procedures need to be arranged before your arrival in the Netherlands and can take up till 6 weeks before it is approved by the Dutch Immigration Services. Without a valid entry visa and/or residence permit, it is not possible to be successfully enrolled in the University. We therefore would like to stress the urgency of applying for your entry visa and/or residence permit well in time.

Groups of countriesProcedure (stay longer than 3 months)

Group I

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Sweden

No immigration procedure needed

Group II

Australia*, Canada*, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand*, Vatican City, United States of America, South Korea

Only a residence permit

Group III

Albania, Armenia, Andorra, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Macedonia, Malaysia, Morocco, Mexico, Moldova, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore,  Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela

Entry via + residence permit

Group IV

All other countries (those not mentioned in group I, II or III)

Entry via + residence permit


Exempted from the Nuffic certificate are:
  • Hong Kong citizens
  • Students with a British Overseas Nationality
  • Students from Taiwan

Entry via + residence permit

(including Nuffic-certificate)

* Students from Argentina, Australia, Canada and New Zealand can apply for a Working Holiday Programme (WHP).

Exceptional situations

  1. If you already have a residence permit with Erasmus University and you need to extend this, you need to apply for this by yourself, by contacting the Erasmus Immigration Desk: visa@eur.nl
  2. If you need to change your purpose of stay (for instance you have a residence permit which is addressed to a study programme at a different Dutch University) you also need to change this yourself by contacting the Erasmus Immigration Desk: visa@eur.nl. Please do still forward a copy of your current residence permit to Erasmus School of Economics (osc-visa@ese.eur.nl)