Dr. Ana Vasques was born in Portugal and spent her childhood in Angola and Brazil. During her research, Ana developed skills in Ecology, Environmental Sciences and Sustainability. She completed her BSc in Biology and her MSc in Ecology at the University of Aveiro (Portugal). In the meanwhile, she worked for a private research institute in Portugal, where she developed applied research in plant-insect interactions and pest management. Later on, she completed a Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences at the University of Aveiro and at the Mediterranean Center for Environmental Studies (Spain) and developed a postdoctoral research in Ecosystem Modelling at Utrecht University (The Netherlands). Besides work, Ana enjoys painting, creative writing and dancing.
EUC has a unique combination of characteristics that I personally find very inspiring, such as the small classes with active students, the international and multidisciplinary setting, the open, personal and friendly atmosphere and the possibility of sharing my passion for the study of life. I feel very glad and honoured to work in such a vibrant environment, as well as to be part of this wonderful community.
For a complete list of publications please visit: https://www.researchgate.net/ .
Erasmus University College
- Nieuwemarkt 1A, Rotterdam
- Shireen Jagriti Bhalla, Roy Kemmers, Ana Vasques & Abi Tamim Vanak (2022) - ‘Stray appetites’: a socio-ecological analysis of free-ranging dogs living alongside human communities in Bangalore, India - Urban Ecosystems, 24 (6), 1245-1258 - doi: 10.1007/s11252-021-01097-4 - [link]
- Yijing Wang, Mélodine Sommier & Ana Vasques (2022) - Sustainability education at higher education institutions: pedagogies and students’ competences - International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 23 (8), 174-193 - doi: 10.1108/IJSHE-11-2021-0465 - [link]
- Mélodine Sommier, Yijing Wang & Ana Vasques (2022) - Transformative, interdisciplinary and intercultural learning for developing HEI students’ sustainability‑oriented competences: a case study - Environment, Development and Sustainability, 1-18 - doi: 10.1007/s10668-022-02208-7 - [link]
- Julia Wittmayer, Derk Loorbach, Kristina Bogner, Yogi Hendlin, Katharina Hölscher, Mariangela Lavanga, Ana Vasques, Timo von Wirth & Marieke de Wal (2021) - Transformative Research: knowledge and action for just sustainability transitions - [link]
- Mara Baudena, Victor M Santana, M. Jaime Baeza, Susana Bautista, Maarten B. Epinga, Lia Hemerik, Angeles Garcia Mayor, Francisco Rodriguez, Alejandro Valdecantos, V. Ramon Vallejo, Ana Vasques & Max Rietkerk (2020) - Increased aridity drives post‐fire recovery of Mediterranean forests towards open shrublands - New Phytologist, 225 (4), 1500-1515 - [link]
- L Pereira, Ana Vasques, P Maia, MJ Ramos Pereira, C Fonseca & M Matos (2019) - Native and exotic seed dispersal by the stone marten (Martes foina): Implications for the regeneration of a relict climactic forest in central Portugal - Integrative Zoology, 14 (3), 280-292 - doi: 10.1111/1749-4877.12362
- Mohammadreza Hosseini, Oscar Gonzalez Pelayo, Ana Vasques, Coen Ritsema, Violette Geissen & Jan Jacob Keizer (2017) - The short-term effectiveness of surfactant seed coating and mulching treatment in reducing post-fire runoff and erosion - Geoderma, 307, 231-237 - [link]
- Paula Maia, Ana Vasques, Juli G Pausas, Domingos X Viegas & Jan Jacob Keizer (2016) - Fire effects on the seed bank of three Mediterranean shrubs: Implications for fire management - Plant Ecology, 217 (10), 1235-1246 - [link]
- Ana Vasques, Gloria Pinto, Maria Celeste Dias, Carlos Correia, Jose Manuel Moutinho Pereira, Victoriano Ramon Vallejo, Conceicao Santos & Jan Jacob Keizer (2016) - Physiological response to drought in seedlings of Pistacia lentiscus (mastic tree) - New Forests, 47 (1), 119-130 - [link]
- Ana Vasques (2014) - Post-fire plant diversity and abundance in pine and eucalypt stands in Portugal: Effects of biogeography, topography, forest type and post-fire management - Forest Ecology and Management, 334 - [link]