I am affiliated with Erasmus University College Rotterdam as a Senior Lecturer in political science. My expertise lies in the contemporary Middle East, a region I continue to engage with as both a student and a teacher. My scholarly focus is on the interaction between architecture, power and religion. More recently, I have also been researching dynastic power and political change.
At EUC, I developed a course in which students use buildings and architecture to teach each other about the political history of Islam. Besides, I launched a course on comparative politics and co-created another one that revolves around maps to analyse Middle East Politics, a first of its kind in Dutch liberal arts and science education. Currently, I am coordinating the Political Science and International Relations (POLIR) major with a growing team of colleagues dedicated to educate EUC students as critical world citizens.
Erasmus University College
- Nieuwemarkt 1A, Rotterdam
- Francesco Colin, Sylvia Bergh, Ward Vloeberghs, Intissar Kherigi & Hicham Jadaoun (2022) - Powerful tool or passing trend? Meanings and practices of social accountability in the Arab world, and why they matter - [link]
- Ward Vloeberghs (2021) - Is there moderation in ostentation? Architectural sectarianism and Lebanese Islamisms (2008-2018) - [link]
- Ward Vloeberghs & Sylvia Bergh (2021) - Weapons of discontent? Sketching a research agenda on social accountability in the Arab Middle East and North Africa
- N Farhat, Ward Vloeberghs, P Bourbeau & P Poirier (2020) - Transforming unitary states into federations: path-dependent construction of political identities in Belgium and Lebanon - Publius: The Journal of Federalism, 50 (4), 593-619 - doi: 10.1093/publius/pjaa007 - [link]
- Julien Kloeg & Ward Vloeberghs (2020) - The university college academic - [link]
- Ward Vloeberghs (2018) - Spatial Politics in Morocco: Neoliberal Urbanism as Authoritarian Power - [link]
- Ward Vloeberghs (2016) - New Texts Out Now: Ward Vloeberghs, Architecture, Power, and Religion in Lebanon - [link]
- Ward Vloeberghs (2016) - Dynamiques dynastiques au Liban : transmettre le pouvoir politique en famille - Critique Internationale, 73 (2016/4), 71-93 - doi: 10.3917/crii.073.0071 - [link]
- Ward Vloeberghs (2015) - Architecture, Power and Religion in Lebanon Rafiq Hariri and the Politics of Sacred Space in Beirut - doi: 10.1163/9789004307056 - [link]
- Ward Vloeberghs (2015) - Décollage du secteur aérien au Maroc: faits et fantaisies d’une impulsion par le haut - doi: 10.4000/books.cjb.990