After obtaining Master of Science degrees in *Sociology* (2008) and *Pedagogical and Educational Sciences* (2011), dr. Daphne van de Bongardt received her Ph.D. degree (2015) at Utrecht University for her **doctoral dissertation** entitled “Developing adolescent sexuality in context: Relations with parents and peers”. Her Ph.D. research project was part of the first large-scale longitudinal study on adolescent relational and sexual development in the Netherlands (**Project STARS**; funded by NWO). In this project, she investigated how adolescents develop their sexuality (behaviors, cognitions, emotions) in the context of relations with parents and peers.
Her **current research line **reflects her multi-disciplinary background, and focuses on biopsychosocial correlates of normative//risky//positive aspects of adolescents' and young adults' relational and sexual developmental and health, with a strong focus on different social contexts (i.e., families, peer relations, partners, schools, media). In her studies, she utilizes multiple quantitative and qualitative **research methods** (e.g., longitudinal questionnaires, daily diaries, video-observations of dyadic interactions, semi-structured in-depth interviews, speed-dating, meta-analysis).
Besides research, she teaches a bachelor practical "Interviewing skills" and a master course "Growing up with peers and social media", and supervises research internships and theses. She also regularly engages in media and broad audience activities (e.g., Universiteit van Nederland, TEDx, Lowlands Science).
In 2017, she received a prestigious **Veni-grant **from NWO for her research project entitled “*Lovely sex or sexy love*?” In this new project, to be conducted in the next four years, she will investigate how relational and sexual developments are intertwined; within individuals (across time) *and *within young romantic couples. In 2019, she received a grant from ZonMw for PhD project, studying the effectiveness of programs for boys and young men (with mild intellectual disability) about dating and sexual violence and psychosexual health ("Move Up!").
Between 2018-2019, she was General Board Member of the *Dutch Scientific Society for Sexology* (NVVS). Currently, she is a second-time member of the Advisory Committee of the "Prevalence Monitor Domestic and Sexual Violence" by the WODC and CBS. She is also the founder of the interdisciplinary Peer Relations Researchers Network of Erasmus University Rotterdam (PRR-EUR), and the Project Lead of the interdisciplinary Erasmus Love Lab.
Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Burg. Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam
- Mirthe C. Verbeek, Maartje Luijk, Joyce Weeland & Daphne van de Bongardt (2023) - Male Adolescents with Mild Intellectual Disabilities: Normative Sexual Development and Factors Associated with Sexual Risks - Sexuality and Disability, 41 (4), 769-784 - doi: 10.1007/s11195-023-09814-x - [link]
- Chantie C. Luijten, Daphne van de Bongardt & Anna P. Nieboer (2023) - Adolescents' friendship quality and over-time development of well-being: The explanatory role of self-esteem - Journal of Adolescence, 95 (5), 1057-1069 - doi: 10.1002/jad.12175 - [link]
- Emma Roza, Ines Lucieer, Daphne van de Bongardt, Maartje Luijk & Rianne Kok (2022) - Parental Lying and its Parental, Child, and Family System Correlates: A Systematic Review
- Mercede van Voorthuizen, Irene Renate Faber, Daphne van de Bongardt & Nicolette Schipper-van Veldhoven (2022) - A Qualitative Exploration of a Biopsychosocial Profile for Experiencing Sexual Harassment and Abuse in Sports - Social Sciences, 11 (7) - doi: 10.3390/socsci11070309 - [link]
- Chantie Luijten, Daphne van de Bongardt & Anna Petra Nieboer (2022) - The Roles of Social Media Use and Friendship Quality in Adolescents’ Internalizing Problems and Well-being - Journal of Happiness Studies, 23 (7), 3161-3178 - doi: 10.1007/s10902-022-00539-w - [link]
- Chantie Charissa Luijten, Daphne van de Bongardt, Joran Jongerling & Anna Petra Nieboer (2021) - Associations between adolescents’ internalizing problems and well-being: is there a buffering role of boys’ and girls’ relationships with their mothers and fathers? - BMC Public Health, 21 (1) - doi: 10.1186/s12889-021-11920-4 - [link]
- Chantie C. Luijten, Daphne van de Bongardt, Joran Jongerling & Anna P. Nieboer (2021) - Longitudinal associations among adolescents’ internalizing problems, well-being, and the quality of their relationships with their mothers, fathers, and close friends - Social Science and Medicine, 289 - doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2021.114387 - [link]
- Daphne van de Bongardt & Mirthe Verbeek (2021) - New interview method for sketching the dynamic relational and sexual history of young adults - Sexuality Research and Social Policy, 18 (4), 1148-1164 - doi: 10.1007/s13178-020-00514-1 - [link]
- Daphne Bongardt (2020) - Betoog: vergeet de jeugd en hun vrienden niet - VNG magazine, 10 - [link]
- Mirthe Verbeek, Daphne van de Bongardt, Ellen Reitz & Maja Deković (2020) - A warm nest or ‘the talk’? Exploring and explaining relations between general and sexuality-specific parenting and adolescent sexual emotions - Journal of Adolescent Health, 66 (2), 210-216 - doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2019.08.015 - [link]
- Daphne van de Bongardt (10 februari 2022) - EenVandaag “Wat wil je eigenlijk wel? Positieve benadering ontbreekt volgens deskundigen in seksuele voorlichting”
- Daphne Bongardt (18 juni 2018) - KennisCafé “Seks: doen we het wel goed?”
- Daphne Bongardt (18 augustus 2017) - Telephone interview for article about popular-scientific stage appearances (Erasmus Magazine)
- Daphne Bongardt (1 januari 2016) - Telephone interview for article about Lowlands study: "Festival Lab Lowlands" (Trouw)
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2022) - Journal of Sex Research (Journal)
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2021) - Learn to dance in the storm. Prevention of depression in adolescents.
- D (Daphne) van de Bongardt, R (Rianne) Kok, M (Michelle) Achterberg, SI (Sari) Hogye, FM (Frank) Weerman, J (Joran) Jongerling, MC (Miranda) Lutz & LP (Linda) Dekker (2021) - Annual Peer Relations Onderzoekers (PRO) conference
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2020) - Journal of Research on Adolescence (Journal)
- Daphne Bongardt (2018) - Journal of Adolescence (Journal)
- Daphne Bongardt (2016) - Hoe kunnen nota bene je ouders je seksleven verbeteren? [How can your parents improve your sex life?]
- Daphne Bongardt, R Yu, M Dekovi? & W Meeus (2014) - European Journal of Developmental Psychology (Journal)
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2018) - Erasmus University Research Award
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2018) - Veni research grant: Lovely sex or sexy love? A dynamic and dyadic study on the interrelatedness between youths’ romantic and sexual development.
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2017) - Research grant (€4.500,-) from the Dutch Scientific Society for Sexology (NVVS) // Fund Stimulation and Development Sexology (Fonds SOS) for the research project: Verweven intieme ontwikkelingsprocessen: Een interviewstudie naar de dynamische samenhang tussen beginnende ervaringen met romantische relaties en seksualiteit van jongeren.
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2017) - Early Career Travel Award ($500) from the Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) to support attendance at the Biennial SRCD Meeting in Austin, Texas, USA (April, 2017).
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2016) - Honorable mention for the CAS Dissertation Prize 2015 from the Utrecht Centre for Child and Adolescent Studies for dissertation “Developing adolescent sexuality in context: Relations with parents and peers”
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2015) - Youth and Family Publication Prize (Jeugd en Gezin Publicatieprijs , 3rd prize: €250,-) from the Research Program Youth and Family (Jeugd en Gezin) of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) for the meta-analysis on relations between sexual peer norms and adolescent sexual behavior
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2015) - Nominated for the VIVA400 Inspiring Women List–2015, Category “Bright Minds”
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2014) - CAS Best Research Article Award (1st prize: €250,-) from the Utrecht Centre for Child and Adolescent Studies for the meta-analysis on the relations between sexual peer norms and adolescent sexual behavior
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2014) - Student Research Award (€1.000,-) from the Association for Canada Studies in the Netherlands (ACSN) for a two-month international work visit and collaboration at the Department of Sexology of the Université du Québec à Montréal, in Montreal, Canada .
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2014) - Emerging Scholar Student Travel Award ($400,-), Society for Research on Adolescence (SRA)
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2014) - Best Student Manuscript Award (1st prize) from the International Academy of Sex Research (IASR) for the meta-analysis on the relations between sexual peer norms and adolescent sexual behavior. Financial award ($1.000,- ) & invited brief communication about the paper during the 40th Annual IASR Meeting.
- Daphne van de Bongardt (2014) - Emerging Scholar Spotlight on the website of the Society for Research on Adolescence