Pursey Heugens is a professor of organisation theory, development, and change at the Department of Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship, Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM). His research interests include comparative corporate governance, business ethics, and bureaucracy, institutional, and demographic theories of organisation. Professor Heugens has won numerous awards for his research and teaching. He currently serves on the editorial boards of six scholarly journals. His research has been published in academic journals including the Academy of Management Journal, the Academy of Management Review, Organization Studies, and the Journal of Management Studies. His most recent works argues that the field of organisation theory is locked into a state of permanent failure due to powerful centrifugal forces which prevent it from producing a unified theory of organisational effectiveness – while equally strong centripetal forces keep university administrators and policy makers from cashing in their chips. He offers three research strategies that might end the stalemate by increasing the integration, relevance and realism of current theories of organisation. He obtained his PhD from RSM in 2001.
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
- Burg. Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam
- Michel W. Lander, Thomas J. Roulet & Pursey P.M.A.R. Heugens (2023) - TEMPERING TEMPERANCE? A CONTINGENCY APPROACH TO SOCIAL MOVEMENTS’ ENTRY DETERRENCE IN SCOTTISH WHISKY DISTILLING, 1823–1921 - Academy of Management Journal, 66 (5), 1384-1410 - doi: 10.5465/amj.2019.1411 - [link]
- Wenjie Liu & Pursey P.M.A.R. Heugens (2023) - Cross-sector collaborations in global supply chains as an opportunity structure: How NGOs promote corporate sustainability in China - Journal of International Business Studies - doi: 10.1057/s41267-023-00644-9 - [link]
- Guus Hendriks, Arjen H.L. Slangen & Pursey P.M.A.R. Heugens (2023) - How cross-cultural experience shapes emerging-market multinationals’ domestic performance after a cross-border acquisition - Long Range Planning, 56 (4) - doi: 10.1016/j.lrp.2023.102342 - [link]
- Ruxi Wang, Pursey Heugens & Frank Wijen (2023) - Green by Affiliation?: Ownership Identity and Environmental Management System Adoption in Chinese Business Groups - Journal of Management - doi: 10.1177/01492063221143721 - [link]
- Julija N. Mell, Daan van Knippenberg, Wendy P. van Ginkel & Pursey P.M.A.R. Heugens (2022) - From Boundary Spanning to Intergroup Knowledge Integration: The Role of Boundary Spanners’ Metaknowledge and Proactivity - Journal of Management Studies, 59 (7), 1723-1755 - doi: 10.1111/joms.12797 - [link]
- Wenjie Liu, Pursey Heugens, Frank Wijen & Marc van Essen (2022) - Chinese management studies: a matched-samples meta-analysis and focused review of indigenous theories - Journal of Management, 48 (6), 1778-1828 - doi: 10.1177/01492063211073067 - [link]
- Wenjie Liu, Pursey Heugens, Frank Wijen & Marc Essen (2021) - Assessing and extending the unique contributions of Chinese management studies - Academy of Management. Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2021 (1) - doi: 10.5465/AMBPP.2021.91
- P Berrone, P Duran, L Gómez-Mejía, Pursey Heugens, T Kostova & Marc van Essen (2020) - Impact of informal institutions on the prevalence, strategy, and performance of family firms: a meta-analysis - Journal of International Business Studies - doi: 10.1057/s41267-020-00362-6 - [link]
- R Aguilera, P Duran, Pursey Heugens, S Sauerwald, Roxana Turturea & M VanEssen (2020) - State ownership, political ideology, and firm performance around the world - Journal of World Business, 56 (1) - doi: 10.1016/j.jwb.2020.101113 - [link]
- Jorien L. Pruijssers, Pursey P.M.A.R. Heugens & J. van Oosterhout (2020) - Correction to: Winning at a Losing Game? Side-Effects of Perceived Tournament Promotion Incentives in Audit Firms (Journal of Business Ethics, (2020), 162, 1, (149-167), 10.1007/s10551-018-3991-2) - Journal of Business Ethics, 162 (1), 169 - doi: 10.1007/s10551-018-4016-x - [link]
- Wenjie Liu, Pursey Heugens & Frank Wijen (2020) - State political ideology as a corporate control mechanism: Evidence from China
- Katrin Smolka & Pursey Heugens (2020) - The emergence of proto-institutions in the new normal business landscape: Dialectic institutional work and the Dutch drone industry - Journal of Management Studies, 57 (3), 626-663 - doi: 10.1111/joms.12540 - [link]
- Pursey Heugens, P J Engelen, Roxana Turturea, Marc van Essen & N Bailey (2020) - The impact of stakeholders' temporal orientation on short- and long-term IPO outcomes: A meta-analysis - Long Range Planning, 53 (2) - doi: 10.1016/j.lrp.2018.10.003
- P Vishwanathan, Hans Oosterhout, Pursey Heugens, PA (Patricio Andres) Duran Solis & Marc Essen (2019) - Strategic CSR: a concept building meta-analysis - Journal of Management Studies, 57 (2), 314-350 - doi: 10.1111/joms.12514 - [link]
- Pursey Heugens, S Sauerwald, Roxana Turturea & Marc van Essen (2019) - Does State Ownership Hurt of Help Minority Shareholders? International Evidence from Control Block Acquisitions - Global Strategy Journal, Accepted - doi: 10.1002/gsj.1337 - [link]
- Marc Essen, Pursey Heugens, P Duran, SF Saleh, S Sauerwald, Hans Oosterhout & E Xie (2019) - How concentrated owners improve the performance of Asian firms: Filling voids or imposing effective governance? - The Multinational Business Review, 28 (1), 39-63 - doi: 10.1108/MBR-07-2019-0078 - [link]
- D Bergh, D Ketchen, Ilaria Orlandi, Pursey Heugens & B Boyd (2019) - Information asymmetry in management research: past accomplishments and future opportunities - Journal of Management, 45 (1), 122-158 - doi: 10.1177/0149206318798026 - [link]
- L Tihanyi, R Aguilera, Pursey Heugens, Marc van Essen, P Duran, S Sauerwald & Roxana Turturea (2019) - State Ownership and Political Connections - Journal of Management, 45 (6), 2293-2321 - doi: 10.1177/0149206318822113 - [link]
- P Duran, Pursey Heugens, Marc van Essen, T Kostova & M Peng (2019) - The impact of institutions on the competitive advantage of publicly-listed family firms in emerging markets - Global Strategy Journal, 9 (2), 243-274 - doi: 10.1002/gsj.1312 - [link]
- SM Musa, Katrin Smolka & Pursey Heugens (2023) - Babson-NFIB Best Paper Award in General Topic in Entrepreneurship
- Marc van Essen, Pursey Heugens, P. Berrone, L. Gomez-Mejia & P. Duran (2016) - OMT Best International Paper Award for "The family-legitimizing environment and the prevalence, strategy, and performance of family firms"
- Marc van Essen, Pursey Heugens, Hans van Oosterhout & Jordan Otten (2011) - An institutional-based view of executive compensation; A multilevel meta-analytic test
- Pursey Heugens & Jordan Otten (2008) - The managerial power theory of executive pay: A cross-national test and extension.
- Start date approval
- november 2022
- End date approval
- november 2025
- GEMBA cursus "Strategy in a global environment"