Current facets (Pre-Master)
- Neelsen, S. and O'donnell, O. (2017). Progressive universalism? The impact of targeted coverage on health care access and expenditures in Peru. Health economics
- Chang AY, Riumallo Herl C., Resch S. and Verguet S. (2017). Estimation of distribution of childhood diarrhoea, measles, and pneumonia morbidity and mortality by socio-economic group in low-income and middle-income countries. The Lancet Global Health 5 (15) 2017
- Verguet S., Riumallo Herl C. et al. (2017). Catastrophic health costs averted by TB control: findings for India and South Africa from a modeling study. The Lancet Global Health 5 (11) 2017
- Hessel P., Riumallo Herl, C. et al. (2017). Economic Downturns, Retirement and Long-Term Cognitive Function Among Older Americans. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
García-Gómez P, Gielen AC. Mortality effects of containing moral hazard: Evidence from disability insurance reform. Health Economics. 2017;1–16
- Bago d’Uva, T., O. O’Donnell and E. van Doorslaer, (2018). Who can predict their own demise? Heterogeneity in the accuracy and value of longevity expectations. Journal of the Economics of Ageing, forthcoming.
- French, E.B. et al. (2017). End-Of-Life Medical Spending In Last Twelve Months Of Life Is Lower Than Previously Reported. Health Affairs 36, no.7 (2017):1211-1217
- Hsieh, C.S. and H. van Kippersluis (2017). Smoking Initiation: Peers and Personality, Quantitative Economics, forthcoming.
- Koc, H. and H. van Kippersluis (2017). Thought for Food: Understanding Educational Disparities in Diet. Journal of Human Capital.
- Palali, A. and J.C. van Ours, Love conquers all but nicotine; spousal peer effects on the decision to quit smoking, Health Economics
- Ravesteijn, B., H. van Kippersluis, and E. van Doorslaer (2017). The Wear and Tear on Health: What is the Role of Occupation? Health Economics
- Van Kippersluis, H. and C.A. Rietveld (2017). Pleiotropy-robust Mendelian Randomization. International Journal of Epidemiology
- Malik, A., E. Van de Poel, E. van Doorslaer, (2017). Did management contracting-in affect the use of primary health care units in Pakistan? Health Policy and Planning 32, 7, 1032–1041.
- French, E., J. McCauley, M. Aragon, P. et al. (2017). Data from the US and eight other developed countries show that end-of-life medical spending is lower than previously reported. Health Affairs, 36, 7: 1211–1217.
- Arnold M, Rentería E, Van Ourti T, Soerjomataram I (2016). Global inequalities in cancer incidence and mortality in the 21st century. Cancer Causes and Control, 27(8): 999-1007.
- Bakx, P.L.H., Doorslaer, E.K.A. van & O'Donnell, O.A. (2016). Spending on Health Care in the Netherlands: Not Going so Dutch. Fiscal Studies (London), 37, 593-625.
- Bijwaard, G.E. and H. van Kippersluis (2016). Efficiency of Health Investment: Education or Intelligence? Health Economics 25: 1056–1072.
- Coveney M, García Gómez P, Van Doorslaer E, Van Ourti T (2016). Health disparities by income in Spain before and after the economic crisis. Health Economics, 25: 141-158.
- Flores, G. & O'Donnell, O. (2016). Catastrophic medical expenditure risk. Journal of Health Economics, 46, 1-15.
- Garcia Gomez, P., Puig-Junoy, J. & Casado-Marin, D. (2016). Free Medicines Thanks to Retirement: Impact of Coinsurance Exemption on Pharmaceutical Expenditures and Hospitalization Offsets in a National Health Service. Health Economics, 25, 750-767.
- O'Donnell, O.A., Ourti, T.G.M. Van, O'Neil, S. & Walsh, B. (2016). conindex: Estimation of Concentration Indices. Stata Journal, 16 (1), 112-138.
- Williams, J., J.C. van Ours and M. Grossman (2016) Attitudes to legalizing cannabis use, Health Economics, 25, 1201-1216.
- Bakx, P.L.H., De Meijer, C.A.M., Schut, F.T. and Doorslaer, E.K.A. van (2015). Going formal or informal, who cares? The influence of public long-term care insurance. Health Economics.
- Bakx, P., Schut, F., & van Doorslaer, E. (2015). Can universal access and competition in long-term care insurance be combined? International Journal of Health Economics and Management, 1-29.
- Bijwaard, G.E., H. van Kippersluis, and J. Veenman (2015), "Education and Health: The Role of Cognitive Ability", Journal of Health Economics, 42: 29-43.
- de Meijer C., van Doorslaer E., and Koopmanschap M. (2015) Explaining Declining Rates of Institutional LTC Use in the Netherlands: A Decomposition Approach, Health Econ., 24, 18–31, doi: 10.1002/hec.3114.
- De Vries E, Uribe C, Pardo C, Lemmens V, Van de Poel E, Forman D. Gastric cancer survival and affiliation to health insurance in a middle-income setting. Cancer Epidemiology 2015, 39(1): 91-96.
- Garcia Gomez, P., Hernandez Quevedo, C., Jimenez Rubio, D and Oliva, J. (2015). Inequity in long-term care use and unmet need: two sides of the same coin. Journal of Health Economics, 39, 147-158.
- Garcia Gomez P, Schokkaert E, Van Ourti T, Bago d’Uva T (2015). Inequity in the face of death, Health Economics, 24(10): 1348-1367.
- Gielen, A. C., Holmes, J., and Myers, C. Prenatal testosterone and the earnings of men and women, Journal of Human Resources, forthcoming.
- Limwattananon, S., Neelsen, S., O'Donnell, O., Prakongsai, P., Tangcharoensathien, V., van Doorslaer, E., & Vongmongkol, V. (2015). Universal coverage with supply-side reform: The impact on medical expenditure risk and utilization in Thailand. Journal of Public Economics, 121, 79-94.
- O’Donnell O, O’Neill S, Van Ourti T, Walsh B (2015). Conindex: Estimation of concentration indices. The Stata Journal, forthcoming.
- O’Donnell O, Van Doorslaer E, Van Ourti T (2015). Health and inequality, in A.B. Atkinson and F.J. Bourguignon (Eds.), North-Holland Handbook of Income Distribution, Elsevier: 1419-1533.
- Palali, A. and J.C. van Ours (2015) Distance to cannabis-shops and age of onset of cannabis use, Health Economics, 24 (11), 1483-1501.
- Quintussi M, Van de Poel E, Panda P, Rutten F. Economic implications of ill health for households in rural India. BMC Health Services Research 2015, 15, 179.
- Raza W, Van de Poel E, Bedi A, Rutten F. Can community based health insurance increase access to care and financial protection? Evidence from a randomized control trial in rural India. Health Economics, forthcoming.
- Rietveld, C.A., H. van Kippersluis, and A.R Thurik (2015), "Self-employment and Health: Barriers or Benefits?", Health Economics, forthcoming.
- Van de Poel E, Flores G, Ir P, O’Donnell O. Impact of performance based financing in a low resource setting: A decade of experience in Cambodia. Health Economics, forthcoming.
- Zhang, H., Bago d’Uva, T., & van Doorslaer, E. (2015). The gender health gap in China: A decomposition analysis. Economics & Human Biology, 18(0), 13-26.
Riumallo Herl C., Kawachi I., and Avendano M. (2014). Social capital, mental health and biomarkers in Chile: Assessing the effects of social capital in a middle-income country. Social Science & Medicine 105 2014: 47-58.
- Riumallo Herl C. et al. (2014). Job loss, wealth and depression during the Great Recession in the USA and Europe. International Journal of Epidemiology.
- Bonfrer, I., Soeters, R., Van de Poel, E., Basenya, O., Longin, G., van de Looij, F., & van Doorslaer, E. (2014). Introduction Of Performance-Based Financing In Burundi Was Associated With Improvements In Care And Quality. Health Affairs, 33(12), 2179-2187.
- Bonfrer, I., Van de Poel, E., van Doorslaer, E. (2014) The effects of performance incentives on the utilization and quality of maternal and child care in Burundi, Social Science & Medicine, 123:96-104.
- Borghans, L., Gielen, A., & Luttmer, E. (2014). Social support substitution and the earnings rebound: Evidence from a regression discontinuity in disability insurance reform. American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 6(4), 34-70.
- Buisman, L. R., & García-Gómez, P. (2014). Inequity in inpatient healthcare utilisation 10 years after Apartheid. Development Southern Africa, 1-16.
- Deuchert, E., Cabus, S., & Tafreschi, D. (2014) A Short Note on Economic Development and Socioeconomic Inequality in Female Body Weight, Health Economics, 23: 861–869.
- de Vries, E., Uribe, C., Pardo, C., Lemmens, V., Van de Poel, E., & Forman, D. (2014). Gastric cancer survival and affiliation to health insurance in a middle-income setting. Cancer Epidemiology.
- Gielen, A. C., & Ours, J. C. (2014). Unhappiness and job finding. Economica, 81(323), 544-565.
- Hou, Z., Van de Poel, E., Van Doorslaer, E., Yu, B. and Meng, Q. (2014) Effects of NCMS Coverage on Access to Care and Financial Protection in China, Health Economics, 23: 917–934.
- Rietveld, C.A., Van Kippersluis, H, Thurik, A.R. (2014) Self-employment and health: Barriers or benefits? Health Economics, DOI: 10.1002/hec.3087
- Tafreschi, D. (2014) The income body weight gradients in the developing economy of China, Economics & Human Biology.
- van Baal P., Meltzer D. and Brouwer W. (2014), Future costs, fixed healthcare budgets, and the decision rules of cost-effectiveness analysis, Health Economics, DOI: 10.1002/hec.3138.
- Van Kippersluis, H., and T.J. Galama (2014), "Wealth and Health Behavior: Testing the Concept of a Health Cost", European Economic Review, 72: 197-220.
- Baeten S, Van Ourti T, van Doorslaer E (2013). Rising inequalities in income and health in China: Who is left behind? Journal of Health Economics, 32: 1214-1229.
- Baeten, S, T Van Ourti and E van Doorslaer (2013) The socioeconomic health gradient across the life cycle: what role for selective mortality and institutionalization?, Social Science and Medicine, 97: 66-74.
- Bonfrer, I.E.J., Poel, E. van de, Grimm, M., Doorslaer, E.K.A. van (2013). Does the distribution of health care utilization match needs in Africa?, Health Policy and Planning, 17 pp., d.d. 10-10-2013
- De Meijer, C, M Koopmanschap, O O'Donnell, E van Doorslaer (2013). Health Expenditure Growth: Looking beyond the Average through Decomposition of the Full Distribution, Journal of Health Economics, 32(1): 88–105.
- Flores G., Ir P., Men C.R., O'Donnell O., van Doorslaer E. (2013) Financial Protection of Patients through Compensation of Providers: The Impact of Health Equity Funds in Cambodia. Journal of Health Economics, 32(6): 1180-1193.
- Flores, G., & O'Donnell, O. (2013). Catastrophic medical expenditure risk. The Lancet, 381, S49.
- Galama, T.J., Kapteyn, A., Fonseca, R., Michaud, P.C. (2013). A Health Production Model with Endogenous Retirement, Health Economics, 22(8): 883-902.
- García-Gómez, P., H. van Kippersluis, O. O'Donnell, and E. van Doorslaer (2013), "Long Term and Spillover Effects of Health Shocks on Employment and Income", Journal of Human Resources, 48(4): 873-908.
- Garcia-Gomez P., Schokkaert E., Van Ourti T. (2013) Reference value sensitivity of measures of unfair health inequality, Research on Economic Inequality, 21: 157-192.
- Ravesteijn, B., van Kippersluis, H., van Doorslaer, E. (2013) The contribution of occupation to health inequality, Research on Economic Inequality, 21: 311–332.
- Van Ours, J.C., J. Williams, D. Fergusson and L.J. Horwood (2013) Cannabis use and suicidal ideation, Journal of Health Economics, 32 (3), 524-537.
- Bleichrodt, H., Rohde, K.I.M. & Ourti, T.G.M. Van (2012). An Experimental Test of the Concentration Index. Journal of Health Economics 31: 86-98.
- De Meijer C.A.M., Majer I.M., Koopmanschap M.A., and van Baal P.H. (2012) Forecasting Lifetime and Aggregate Long-Term Care Spending: Accounting for Changing Disability Patterns. Medical Care 50(8): 722-729.
- Erreygers, G., Clarke, P. & Ourti, T.G.M. Van (2012). Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who in this land is fairest of all? – Distributional sensitivity in the measurement of socioeconomic inequality in health. Journal of Health Economics 31: 257-270.
- Gielen, A.C., Tatsiramos, K. (2012) Quit behavior and the role of job protection. Labour Economics, 19 (4): 624-632.
- Hendriks M.E., Wit F.W., Roos M.T., Brewster L.M., Akande T.M., de Beer I.H., Mfinanga S.G., Kahwa A.M., Gatongi P., Van Rooy G., Janssens W., Lammers .J, Kramer B., Bonfrer I.E.J., Gaeb E., van der Gaag J., Rinke de Wit T.F., Lange J.M., Schultsz C. (2012) Hypertension in sub-Saharan Africa: cross-sectional surveys in four rural and urban communities, 7(3):e32638, PLoS One.
- Kok R., Avendano Pabon M., Bago d’Uva T., and Mackenbach J. (2012). Can reporting heterogeneity explain differences in depressive symptoms across Europe? Social Indicators Research 105: 191-210
- Luczak J, García-Gómez P (2012). Financial burden of drug expenditures in Poland. Health Policy, 105: 256-264.
- Van de Poel, E, O O'Donnell, E Van Doorslaer (2012). Is there a health penalty of China's rapid urbanization? Health Economics, 21, 4, pages 367–385
- Van de Poel E, Van Doorslaer E, O'Donnell O (2012). Measurement of inequity in health care with heterogeneous response of use to need. Journal of Health Economics 31(4): 676-89.
- Van Ourti T, Erreygers G, Clarke p (2012). Techniques for measuring equality and equity in health and health care, in Culyer T, Tsuchiya A, Wildman J (eds), prepared for the Elsevier Online Encyclopaedia of Health Economics
- O’Donnell, O, E van Doorslaer and A Wagstaff (2012). Decomposition of inequalities in health and health care, In: AM Jones (Ed.), The Elgar Companion to Health Economics, 2nd Edition, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, chapter 17, 2012, 179-191.
- Van Ours, J.C. and J. Williams (2012) The effect of cannabis use on physical and mental health, Journal of Health Economics, 31, 564-577.
- Bago d’Uva T, M Lindeboom, O O'Donnell, E van Doorslaer. Education-related Inequity in Health Care with Heterogeneous Reporting of Health. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A 2011; 174(3): 639–664.
- Bago d’Uva T, M Lindeboom, O O'Donnell, E van Doorslaer. (2010) Slipping Anchor? Testing the Vignettes Approach to Identification and Correction of Reporting Heterogeneity. Journal of Human Resources, 46, 4, 872-903.
- Casado D, García-Gómez P, López-Nicolás Á (2010), Informal care and labour force participation among middle-aged women in Spain. SERIEs: Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, 2011, 1: 1-29.
- De Meijer, C, M Koopmanschap, T Bago d’Uva and E van Doorslaer (2010), Determinants of Long-Term Care spending: ageing, Time-To-Death or disability? Journal of Health Economics, 30, 425–438
- Erreygers G, Van Ourti T (2011). Putting the cart before the horse. A comment on Wagstaff on inequality measurement in the presence of binary variables. Health Economics, 20, 1161-1165.
- Erreygers G, Van Ourti T (2011). Measuring socioeconomic inequality in health, health care and health financing by means of rank-dependent indices: a recipe for good practice. Journal of Health Economics, 30(4), 685-694.
- García-Gómez, P. (2011), Institutions, health shocks and labour market outcomes across Europe. Journal of Health Economics, 30: 200-231.
- García-Gómez P, von Gaudecker H-M, Lindeboom M. (2011), Health, disability and work: patterns for the working age population. International Tax and Public Finance, 18: 146-165.
- Van Ourti T, Clarke P. (2011), A simple correction to remove the bias of the Gini coefficient due to income grouping. Review of Economics and Statistics, 982-994.
- Van Doorslaer E, Van Ourti T (2011). “Chapter 35: Measuring inequality and inequity in health and health care”. in Smith, P. and Glied, S., The Oxford Handbook of health economics, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 837-869.
- Van Kippersluis, H., O. O'Donnell, and E. van Doorslaer (2011). "Long Run Returns to Education: Does Schooling Lead to an Extended Old Age?" Journal of Human Resources, 46(4): 695-721.
- Van Kippersluis H, van Doorslaer E (2011). Langer leren om langer te leven? Economisch-Statistische Berichten, 96, 512-519.
- Boldrin M, P García Gómez, and S Jiménez Martín, Social Security incentives, exit from the workforce and entry of the young. In: J Gruber and DA Wise, ed. Social Security Programs around the World: The relationship to youth employment. University of Chicago Press, 2010.
- Clarke P, and T Van Ourti (2010). Calculating the concentration index when income is grouped. Journal of Health Economics, 29(1), 151-157.
- De Meijer C., Brouwer W., Koopmanschap M., van den Berg B., and van Exel J. (2010) The Value of Informal Care-a further Investigation of the Feasibility of Contingent Valuation in Informal Caregivers. Health Economics 19(7): 755-71.
- Erdogan Ciftci E, E van Doorslaer, T Bago d'Uva, and FJ van Lenthe (2010) Do self-perceived health changes predict longevity? Social Science and Medicine, 71(11): 1981-88.
- García Gómez, Pilar, Nigel Rice and Andrew M Jones, Health effects on labour market exits and entries. Labour Economics 2010, 17: 62-76
- Schokkaert E, Van Ourti T, De Graeve D, Lecluyse A, Van de Voorde C. (2010), Supplemental health insurance and equality of access in Belgium. Health Economics, 19(4), 377-395.
- Van Doorslaer, E and O O’Donnell, Measurement and explanation of inequality in health and health care in low-income settings, In: McGillivray, M and I Dutta (Eds) Advancing health equity, Palgrave MacMillan, Basingstoke, 2010, Chapter 2, 20-44
- van Kippersluis H, O'Donnell O, van Doorslaer E, Van Ourti T, Socioeconomic differences in health over the life cycle in an Egalitarian country, Social Science & Medicine 2010, 70(3):428-38
- Bago d’Uva, T, AM Jones and E van Doorslaer, Measurement of horizontal inequity in health care utilisation using European panel data, Journal of Health Economics, 2009, 28(2): 280-289
- Casado, David, García Gómez, Pilar and Ángel López Nicolás. Labour and income effects of caregiving across Europe. Moneda y Crédito 2009, 228: 197-225
- de Meijer, C, M Koopmanschap, X Koolman, E van Doorslaer, The Role of Disability in Explaining Long-Term Care Utilization, Medical Care, 2009, 47(11): 1156-63.
- Lecluyse A, Van de Voorde C, De Graeve D, Schokkaert E, Van Ourti T (2009). Hospital supplements in Belgium: price variation and regulation. Health Policy, 92, 276-287.
- Leung GM, Tin KYK, O’Donnell O (2009), Redistribution or horizontal equity in Hong Kong’s mixed public-private health system: a policy conundrum. Health Economics, 18(1): 37-54.
- McGrail, K, E van Doorslaer, C Sanmartin and N Ross, Why are income-related health inequalities in Canada lower than in the United States? A decomposition analysis, American Journal of Public Health, 2009, 99(10):1856-63.
- O’Donnell, O, A Nicolas Lopez and E van Doorslaer, Growing richer, growing taller: explaining change in the distribution of child height during Vietnam’s economic boom, Journal of Development Economics, 2009, 88 (1): 45–58
- Van de Poel, O O'Donnell, E van Doorslaer, Urbanization and the spread of diseases of affluence in China, Economics and Human Biology, 2009, 7, 200-216
- Van de Poel, E, O O’Donnell and E van Doorslaer, What explains the Rural-Urban Gap in Infant Mortality — Household or Community Characteristics? Demography, 2009, 46, 4, 827-850
- Van Kippersluis, H., Van Ourti, T., O'Donnell, O., van Doorslaer, E. (2009). "Health and Income across the life-cycle and generations in Europe" Journal of Health Economics28(4): 818-830
- Van Ourti, T, E van Doorslaer and X Koolman, The Effect of Growth and Inequality in Incomes on Health Inequality: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the European Panel, Journal of Health Economics, 2009, 28(3): 525-39
- Bago d’Uva, T, O O’Donnell and E van Doorslaer, Health reporting by educational level and its impact on the measurement of health inequalities in Europe, International Journal of Epidemiology, 2008
- Bago d’Uva, T, E van Doorslaer, M Lindeboom, O O’Donnell, Does reporting heterogeneity bias the measurement of health disparities?, Health Economics, 2008 17(3):351-75
- Flores Pentzke, G, J Krishnakumar, O O’Donnell and E van Doorslaer, Coping with Health Care Costs: Implications for the Measurement of Catastrophic Expenditures and Poverty, Health Economics, 2008, 17(12): 1393-1412
- Hanley GE, S Morgan, J Hurley, E van Doorslaer, Distributional consequences of the transition from age-based to income-based prescription drug coverage in British Columbia, Canada, Health Economics, 2008, 17(12): 1379-92
- Jiménez D, PC Smith, E Van Doorslaer, Equity in health and health care in a decentralized context: evidence from Canada, Health Economics, 2008, 17(3):377-92
- Meheus, F and E van Doorslaer, Socio-economic differences in measles immunization: evidence from Demographic and Health Surveys, Social Science & Medicine, 2008, 66(8): 1709-18
- O’Donnell, O, E van Doorslaer, R Rannan-Eliya et al (15 authors) Who pays for health care in Asia?, Journal of Health Economics, 2008, 27(2): 460-75
- Van de Poel E, A.R. Hosseinpoor, N. Speybroeck, T. Van Ourti, J. Vega (2008), Socioeconomic inequality in malnutrition in developing countries, Bulletin of the World Health Organisation, 86(4), 282-291.
- Van Doorslaer E, Equity in health and health care in Canada: an international perspective, Edited by: Lu, M and E Jonsson (Eds) Financing health care: new ideas for a changing society, Wiley, New York, 2008, 245-272 Van Doorslaer E, Ph Clarke, E Savage, J Hall, Horizontal inequities in Australia’s mixed public/private health care system, Health Policy, 2008, 86(1): 97-108