Admission requirements for Bachelor International Bachelor in Psychology
Please know that we understand that due to COVID-19 you might have concerns about studying abroad or starting this programme. We want to assure you that this programme will take place and start in September. If due to the corona virus we cannot have classes and lectures on campus, we will offer an online alternative. Once we are certain in what way the academic year will commence, we will inform you immediately.
The International bachelor in Psychology is a numerus fixus programme. This means that we have a limited number of places available (600) and you have to be selected for the programme.
Please find our Selection Regulations here.
On this page, you will find more information about the entry requirements for our bachelor programme. You can find more information about the application and selection procedure here.
As a rule, you are eligible to apply for our bachelor programme if you have obtained or will obtain a secondary school diploma such as the Dutch vwo diploma, an hbo propedeuse or a foreign equivalent.
If you have doubt about your eligibility, please refer to the list of most common diplomas granting you access to studies at a research university. Whether or not your diploma is at the required level, will be determined upon receipt of your application and documents.
If you have not graduated yet on the day of application, you can apply with a diploma statement in your application.
To be able to participate in the small-scale education, a good command of English is essential. You therefore have to prove your proficiency in English in your application.
You meet our English language requirements when:
- You went to secondary/ high school with English as the language of instruction for at least 2,5 years in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Canada (with the exception of Quebec), Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. (Please note that possessing a passport from an English speaking country without attending school in one of the above-mentioned countries does not grant exemption);
- You hold an International Baccalaureate Diploma, English A (HL or SL 4 or higher), English B (HL 4 or higher);
- You hold an European Baccalaureate and took English as L1 or L2 with a minimum of 7.0 (not with L3);
- English was part of your final exam of the following diplomas and you have obtained an average of at least 70% of the maximum score: Dutch vwo, Belgian ASO (in the Flemish and German-speaking part of Belgium), German Abitur, Norwegian Vitnemal, Swedish Slutbetyg, Finnish Ylioppilastuskintotodistus, Icelandic Studentprof, Danish Studentereksamen, Swiss Maturität (in the German speaking part of Switzerland), Austrian Maturazeugnis, French Option Internationale du Baccalauréat (Anglo-American section);
- You have obtained an hbo diploma at a University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands where the language of instruction of the complete programme was English. Please submit proof thereof by uploading a statement by the university confirming this. (Not applicable when you have only completed the first year/propedeuse);
- The GCSE O-level English first language is only accepted for those students who apply on the basis of GCSE O-levels + GCE A-levels;
- You have obtained a diploma of higher education in English in of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, the United States of America and South Africa (the entire programme lasted for at least 2,5 years) and will submit proof or a statement by the university that your degree was taught fully in English.
If you do not meet these requirements, you will have to demonstrate your English skills with an English proficiency test and submit the results along with your application.
We accept the following language tests and results:
TOEFL iBT (code: 5971)
CAE:C / CPE:C
- Test score reports must be in along with your application. Without the results, we will not be able to assess your application.
- Only the Internet-Based TOEFL is accepted (not the Institutional TOEFL test).
Test results may not be older than two years at the time of application.
Participating in the selection procedure
You can participate in the selection procedure for this programme a maximum of three times. There is one selection procedure per year.
A selection attempt is listed when:
- You have (had) an active application in Studielink after 15 January 2020.
- You have not completed the selection procedure, but you have (had) an active application after 15 January 2020.
- You withdraw your application after 15 January 2020.
Yes, you are eligible when you have completed an Associate Degree or if you have obtained a Dutch HBO Propedeuse. You are also eligible to apply if the first year of your Associate Degree is identical to the first year of a Dutch HBO programme and you have therefore obtained a HBO Propedeuse.
Keep in mind that you still have to meet the other admission requirements (for example the language requirement) when you apply.
A transfer of grades is not possible. Due to the special educational format that we are using - Problem-Based Learning - as well as the build-up of the curriculum, which mainly consists of obligatory as opposed to optional courses, we cannot accept transfer students.
Our programme is an English-taught programme. All lectures and all literature is in English. This requires from our students that they can read, write, speak and understand English at an academic level and thus we need proof thereof from our applicants. This applies to our Dutch and non-Dutch applicants.
Yes, in some cases you might be exempted from presenting proof of English proficiency. Please have a look on the admission page to find out if you are eligible for exemption. Keep in mind that in case you believe that you qualify for exemption you need to present a proof thereof.
The eligibility of your prior education can only be determined after you have submitted an application and only after we have received all requested documents. Prior inquiries will be purely hypothetical. For this reason, we encourage you to officially apply for admission. You can also assess your eligibility yourself by taking a look at the detailed admissions criteria on this page. We have tried to make the criteria as transparent as possible.