In October of 2009, EUR signed a contract with the China Scholarship Council (CSC), a Chinese governmental organization that grants scholarships for Chinese students that go abroad each year. This contract is important because:
- It will help EUR to attract Chinese students, whose studies are financed for a large part by the Chinese government.
- It signifies that the Chinese government recognizes Erasmus University Rotterdam as an active partner, a fact that strengthens EUR’s position and image in China.
The CSC contract involves scholarships for PhD students lasting for a period of 48 months.
The costs of a round-trip flight and an additional amount of € 1350,- for monthly room rental and living expenses are paid entirely by the CSC. Only in exceptional circumstances and prior permission, PhD's can receive an additional amount to cover expenses or have additional costs reimbursed, by their faculty or their supervisor.
The candidate is required to enclose the CV of his/her promoter with the submission. This will give the candidate an impression of the research and the promoter. The CV needs to contain the following:
- Research projects of the last 5 years;
- List of publications of the last 5 years;
- The university/institute the promoter is attached to.
Please note: a sufficient English level is an obligatory requirement for admission at EUR in general. IELTS is an international standardized test of English language proficiency. For the PhD candidates:
- IELTS score of 7.0 is compulsory (EUR requirement: minimal subscore of 6.0 for Listening, Speaking,Reading and Writing).
- Or TOEFL score of 100 is compulsory (EUR requirements: minimal subscore of 20 each for Listening, Speaking,Reading and Writing).
The admission is dependent on the candidate's English level as well as the advice of the supervisor in regard to the Admission Office, who will have the final decision on admission cases.
Exception for English is only possible if the candidate is a native speaker of one of the following countries; UK, Australia, New-Zealand, USA, Canada (except for Quebec), USA, South-Africa or if one has had followed their education in one of the previously mentioned countries for at least 2,5 years. Please also check this page.
The candidate is asked to submit a research proposal upon application for a PhD position in order for professors to exanimate the writing skills.
The candidate needs to submit a research proposal (min. 1000 words) when applying for CSC scholarship, which needs to be signed by the promoter at EUR.
The proposal needs to contain the followings:
- The title of the PhD research
- Description of the research
- Previous research results of the candidate in China
- Goal and expectations regarding the research in abroad
- Research methods
- Timetable for the research
- Expected applicability of the research
In 2022 before Friday, March 18th, 2022 each student must have received a ‘Letter of Acceptance’ from the supervisor. After receiving this, they can apply for the scholarship. In contrast to previous years, the CSC has only one round of applications possibilities, instead of two.