Choosing courses


During your exchange, you must obtain at least 24 ECTS credits. The courses need to be part of the curriculum provided by the partner university. All students are required to obtain at least half (12 credits) of the credits within the field of economics and/or econometrics. The other credits can be obtained in other academic disciplines that are part of the curriculum of the host university. 


Master students, students of the Mr/Drs programme and students of Fiscale Economie need to obtain at least 16 credits, of which at least half of the credits within the field of economics and/or econometrics. Other students who already passed their minor or elective (and hence obtained already some of the 24 ECTS of block 1 and 2) may also be eligible for taking 16 ECTS worth of courses during their exchange.


All courses need to be checked upfront by the exchange coordinator of Erasmus School of Economics.

In your search for courses on university’s websites, please do not look for keywords such as “minor” or “elective”. Rather, focus on “modules”, “course guide”, “bulletin”, “courses” or “undergraduate” to assemble your course list. Some universities offer a course list specifically designed for exchange students.

Only if the host university gives credit points for a course, they can be accepted for your credit points conversion by the Examination Board.

Approval: Learning Agreement

In order to approve your courses, we ask you to submit a Learning Agreement before departure. The type of learning agreement depends on your destination. 

In Europe (and Turkey)

Students going on exchange within Europe are required to fill out the Erasmus+ Learning Agreement. The Scholarship Office (Erasmusbeurs Office) of Erasmus University Rotterdam provides the Learning Agreement to nominated students around June.                                                              

The Learning Agreement consists of three parts. Part I should be signed before your departure. Please fill out the document yourself (we will provide guidelines) and sign it, prior to submitting it to the Student Desk. Only fully filled out documents are accepted. After course approval, you will get a signed copy back that you can e-mail to the partner university with a request to sign it. Always make sure that the document includes correct names and codes of courses.

Outside Europe

Students going on exchange outside of Europe need to fill out the Erasmus School of Economics Learning Agreement. The Learning Agreement works in a similar fashion as the European Learning Agreement. Always make sure that the document is filled out properly and includes correct names and codes of courses.

Credit conversion

In Europe, practically all universities use the ECTS credit conversion. This means that 1 ECTS credit at the partner university is worth the same at Erasmus School of Economics. For universities outside Europe, the Examination Board establishes the credit conversion. These are listed in the profile of the partner university, accessible to you by registering for the Canvas course FEB63005 International Exchange. You need to calculate yourself how many credits you should obtain.  

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes